Effecient small stove for 750sqft home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brad wilton

Feeling the Heat
Oct 13, 2014
quebec
My daughter has a 1950's war home she just bought 750sqft in quebec canada,just so u no it's cold lol.she has a heatilater fireplace wich i know she's going to want to change by next spring.looking for suggestions on small or meduim stove .might be used for 24/7 heating any suggestions?

I would go with a medium sized catalytic stove like blaze king or Woodstock soapstone. That way she has plenty of capacity for an overnight load but can turn it down for a low slow burn. Small short burns with a small non catalytic stove in that climate could be frustrating.

This is a masonry fireplace opening? With that little room is she going to want a stove over a insert?

24/7 heat and "small" stove are hard to mesh. Definitely want to consider catalytic stoves IMO. Woodstock, Hearthstone, Blazeking Regency, and Buck to start with. Your fireplace dimensions and chimney will dictate a lot here. Details will help us point you in a better direction.

Last edited:
If this is to replace the fireplace completely, in Quebec I would also look at locally made stoves from Napoleon like the 1400 series and Drolet. Other Canadian stoves like the PE Super and the Enviro Kodiak 1200 would be good, especially if the chimney will be on the shorter side.

It's not a masonary fireplace so i dont think insert would work ,from what ive read here could be mistaken probably be a gut if insert cant be used

Need to know what is meant by change the fireplace. If heatilator it could be ok for an insert, but we would need dimensions. Pics are always welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.