Efficiency improvement quest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Safety wise I am good with my setup, and easy enough for me to clean the liner once or twice a season. Behind the insert- I believe it is called a heatilator, ? Something like that anyway. The fireplace brick is shielded with a metal box on the back and sides of fireplace. There is insulation between the metal box and brick, original construction I believe and I left this in place as it is in good condition and cleaned up nicely before installing the insert. Hope my description there is understandable.
Yes, that helps. It sounds like the main improvement will be to try the hallway fan test this fall. If it works well, I have posted in the past about ways to duct this through the basement for more even heat distribution into the bedrooms. To start though, the fan test is easy.

Yes, that helps. It sounds like the main improvement will be to try the hallway fan test this fall. If it works well, I have posted in the past about ways to duct this through the basement for more even heat distribution into the bedrooms. To start though, the fan test is easy.
Will do the fan test as well as a thermometer and work from there. It seems like a probe thermometer just above the flue collar is a good setup?