EKO 60 Horizontal Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

keen427

Aug 10, 2008
Northern NJ
Can a EKO 60 be horizontally vented like a Garn?

Thanks for the info Taxidermist.

I am not even sure about why the garn can maybe it is powervented??? I asked the question about my eko 60 and all they said was no?

Rob

One might ask the question "why can't I power vent my EKO???". I searched on that one for quite some time before giving it up and buying my 24' of Class A chimney. Quite pricey. Ultimately, per code I don't think you can power vent solid fuel appliances and I have no idea how/why Garn can get around this. Must be some trick up their sleeve....

I will also be putting in a separate Class A chimney. Do you mind me asking waht you paid? I am guessing 2000? I hope it is not over .... that is what my budget is calling for

Heck no on the $2000! That would have shut the whole thing down for me. I would have been using PVC if that were the case. Of course I'm doing the install myself so if you're hoping to have it installed for $2000 maybe you're on the right track. Mine will be less than $1000 hooked up to the boiler. I spent $800 on all the class A parts from Menards. This included the straight shots, one T, stove adapter, rain cap, supports, etc. I might need another $80 or so worth once I get up to the top. And I figure another $100 for the 6 feet of black pipe on the inside of my basement and I should be good to go...

FYI I'm putting 6" pipe on my EKO 40. The 8" pipe is 30% more...

Now I just need to find someone to bore a 9" hole in my poured concrete basement wall....soon....

I actually figured out a way to not buy one. It is quite compact in my basement where my Type A chimney comes in. I have to move the water heater... and 2 oil tanks to make room for the Tarm to be up close to the chimney. A pain to move those things... but a whole lot cheaper than buying another SS chimney. It will also be... gulp.... dare I say... hooked up with the oil boiler in tandem on one flue. It has been discussed on these forums that that is not code and should not be done... however... I seem to have this idea that alot of people do it... and it works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.