EKO and newbies staying power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssfein

Jun 2, 2008
coastal maine
I like the EKO boiler but as an old Mainer who started burning wood 35 years ago I have seen lots of wood burners come and go, some were good products. Anybody have a view of the longevity of the newbies like EKO, Are they still going to be around in 15 years when I need parts or service? That is one of the pluses for the Tarm it has been around for 20+years and is likely to stay from what I can see.

The EKO is built by a large, established boiler manufacturer based in Poland. But since it's imported, there's always the chance, as you suggest, that the supply of support and replacement parts could dry up.

A couple of points to consider on that:

There ain't much that can go wrong on an EKO that can't be fixed or fabricated locally.
The installed base of these boilers in North America is growing rapidly. I suspect you'll see alternative sources for original and aftermarket spare parts (blowers, controllers, refractory) emerging soon.
I know at least one dealer who has made arrangements to stock spare parts independent of the importer (New Horizon) to support his customers, regardless.

It's a good question, and Tarm has a proven track record. But I think others, like EKO, will be similar, given the popularity of their boilers and growing installed base.

Status
Not open for further replies.