EKO flue size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

easternbob

Nov 29, 2007
Central NY
The new EKO manual states that you need a 8" diameter flue. I have a EKO 25 and that seems really big. I'm thinking it would be easier to maintain a good draft and the necessary stack temps with a 6" pipe? I purchased a draft inducer along with my boiler and plan on installing that in addition. I realize I need to start out with a 8" tee off the back of the boiler but was thinking of transitioning to 6" above that.

What size flues are other people using and how is it working?
Thanks,
Bob

You'll find that several people on this site are running 6" pipe on the 25's and 40's with good results. You may also notice that a Class A 6" T will fit right over your 8" outlet....quite convienent....except that running Class A chimney pipe indoors is kinda pricey and not necessary for code.

I haven't fired mine up yet but I am using a 7" flue/chimney because the pipe was already installed in my garage. Dave at Cazy Heat recommends using a 6" chimney, because you can slip the collar of a 6" insulated chimney section right over the 8" flue collar on the back of the EKO - he showed me this in the store and I was impressed with the simplicity of the setup. Unfortunately for me I could not use this solution.
I think that 6" is lots, especially with a draft inducer. I live in just about the worst possible place for downdraft and haven't had a problem with the 6" chimney on my PE stove using a venturi cap on the top. In normal operation the only part of that chimney that gets any crosote buildup is the cap itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.