EKO Service Life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydronics

Feeling the Heat
Dec 3, 2008
Northern CT
Anyone have any data on service life of EKO boilers? How long have they been imported to the US? How long have they been manufactured? Any history of failures? I've been pondering/researching replacing my updraft boiler to a gasifier for several years. I've thoroughly researched them all and from a quality versus cost perspective it's tough to beat the EKO.
My only concern is longevity of the vessel and heat exchanger. When will it corrode through and leak? The literature says the heat exchanger is 4 mm thick (that's less than 3/16").
Anyone have data?

Anyone? The dealers must have this information.

I'll take a stab at this but I've only been using for this season. The boilers are pretty simple and they really don't have many moving parts. The electronics are pretty simple also and if needed you could change and use different controls and fans. If you keep the inlet water temp above 140ish I don't see where these would rot out over 20 years or so. The bottom refractory blocks are replaceable and so are the nozzles which I don't think will wear out to fast. I have allot more faith in these than I did with my OWBs.

The EKO line has only been in production for around 10 years, I believe, but the parent company for EKO has been around (in Europe) for 40 maybe 50 years. They do come with a 20 year (annually depreciated) warranty. My EKO40 has pretty well paid for itself in the 2.25 years I have had/used it but I even use it in the summer for dhw heat. It's the best unit we have ever had in our home via cost & efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.