Elco Needs a small repair.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Skurj

Oct 24, 2017
USA
I just bought a home with a wood burning fireplace. Never owned one before, so I am new to this. I believe its an Elco and was probably installed in the 70's. Before I used it I had it and the flue and fireplace inspected and it all checked out. However after using it a few times this fall I noticed a piece of metal that surrounds where my propane lighter bar comes in has come loose and pulled away from the inside. Is this a repair i can do myself? Is it possible to seal this up with a high temperature epoxy or some sort of glue? Thanks for your help. I have attached pictures because I know my description is probably not very good.
IMG_20171023_233125.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No glue, but maybe a larger piece of metal could be fastened there with stainless steel pop-rivets. Look for more deterioration. It's possible the firebox metal is badly rusted on the outside in that area in which case the metal may be thin.