Electric Chainsaw and Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Currently I'm seeking a supplier for log lengths and will need some equipment to process. Any recommendations would be great. :)

I'd like to take the plunge and get an electric splitter and saw. I live in a neighborhood and a gas powered saw would be a bit loud so to not make waves I'd like to use an electric saw and splitter.

I'm on a tight budget so price really matters but of course I don't want to sacrifice quality. I'd rather wait another month for extra money than buy something that is gonna let me down.

Thanks for the help :)

I think you would be surprised by what a little 5 or 6 ton electric splitter will do. Mine doesn't owe me a dime. What the splitter will not split I cut into shorts for the shoulder season. I can't help on the electric saw.

<att

Look into stihl mse electric chainsaws, I have never used them in wood but do for Icecarvings, and all the professional icecarvers I know use them daily for years, without any problems.

electric saws have come a long way real fast. you'll not find me poo-pooing them. I have one for emergency backup in the Timber. It runs off of a big inverter I got that i can clamp onto the jeep battery. it's a cheap-o 12 inch, but they make some much better ones now.

my only advice is to make sure the electric chainsaw has an automatic oiler because mine doesn't and it seriously makes my thumb sore by the end of some significant cutting.

Back in the 80's I used the Stihl 220 volt electric saws with 20-24" bars. Great saws with alot of torque and kick. They weighed around 14 lbs dry with auto oilers and made quite a impression on customers. They cost around $650.00 then.
Thomas

The Ryobi 4 ton electric from Home Depot is running $299 and my local store has 1 in stock Lowes has a 5 ton running $249 but none in stock inside 50 miles. Both have great reviews. I can go pick up the Ryobi Wednesday or see if Lowes could order their splitter and save some cash and get 1 ton more power....hmmm

HD sells Homelite electric saws and Lowes has Poulan. Anybody have any feedback on the saws and splitters?? :)

HD Splitter-- http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
HD saw--http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xgf/R-100615525/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Lowes splitter--http://www.lowes.com/pd_241483-53393-26083_0_?productId=1068703&Ntt=electric chainsaw&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=electric chainsaw$y=7$x=12
Lowes saw--http://www.lowes.com/pd_118147-86886-952802358_0_?productId=3009620&Ntt=electric chainsaw&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=electric chainsaw$y=7$x=12

Hare,
I have the Ryobi and it's sa-weet. We've split 6 cord, all hardwood, so far--it sometimes gets hung up on real big pieces (24"), but you can just chip away at it. I've not hit a single piece of maple or oak it couldn't split yet.

S

Be real careful with an electric saw (not that you shouldn't be with any saw) as I believe chaps are not effective at stopping the chains due to their torque.

thinkxingu said:
Hare,
I have the Ryobi and it's sa-weet. We've split 6 cord, all hardwood, so far--it sometimes gets hung up on real big pieces (24"), but you can just chip away at it. I've not hit a single piece of maple or oak it couldn't split yet.

S

Thats what I lke to hear! :)
Is the Xingu in your username reffering to the Rio Xingu?

peterc38 said:
Be real careful with an electric saw (not that you shouldn't be with any saw) as I believe chaps are not effective at stopping the chains due to their torque.

What should I watch out for?

not cutting into your leg for starters! But seriously, my point was even if you own chaps and wear them, they are not effective with electric saws.

This is from Stihls website: http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/chain-saw-protective-wrap-around-chaps.html

"WARNING FOR ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW USERS!
The fibers will not stop the sprocket on most electric chain saws because of their constant high torque."

Thanks for the heads up! I'd much rather a gas saw but don't wanna piss off the neighbors. When it comes to safety I'd rather piss them off than get hurt.
Besides, I'll be bucking during the day anyway...maybe they should get a job!

I'm probably close by your area, and I live in what could be considered a neighborhood as well. I currently have a gas saw and an electric splitter. Like you said before you'll be cutting during the day so I wouldn't be too concerned about noise. As for the elec. splitter I went with one due to the fact that at the present time I could/cannot afford $1000.00 for a Huskey 22 ton. So far Ive processed about 3 cords of scrounged wood mostly sugar maple and oak, I am very happy with the preformance. I theink there have been about 6 or 7 pcs. tha gave it trouble, I just toss them aside to burn in the fire pit outside. I believe most of the electric splitters I've seen are pretty much the same animal inside with diffrent paint and outside configurations. I got mine from Northern Tools for $299.00 and it looks just like the one Mantis sells minus the air tires.
Hank

Just returned from HD and damn-it just this second realized I forgot a moisture meter and gloves. argh!

Was a little dissapointed the 4 ton Ryobi I did so much research on turned out to be a 5 ton Homelite but being the only splitter left within 50+ miles I grabbed it. and took an extra year plan on the warranty.

Also skipped on the electric saw and picked out the last Poulan 42cc with 18" bar and an extra year warranty also.

I sent everything over to my Father to be assembled and should be bucking and splitting in a few days :)

Thanks for all the help guys

Don't forget the safety gear to go with the new toys - of course since Home Depot really doesn't care about your safety, you can't get it there...

Gooserider

Im on it!! I already switched to cans of beer instead of bottles. The last thing I want is a split breaking a bottle and me stepping on it with bare feet while trying to split wood!!

All kidding aside I am always concerned with safety. On the boat i'ts a top priority and processing wood will be no different.

hareball said:
Just returned from HD and damn-it just this second realized I forgot a moisture meter and gloves. argh!

Was a little dissapointed the 4 ton Ryobi I did so much research on turned out to be a 5 ton Homelite but being the only splitter left within 50+ miles I grabbed it. and took an extra year plan on the warranty.

Also skipped on the electric saw and picked out the last Poulan 42cc with 18" bar and an extra year warranty also.

I sent everything over to my Father to be assembled and should be bucking and splitting in a few days :)

Thanks for all the help guys

Pretty sure the Ryobi and Homelite are identical just different labels and colors... Same warranty too I believe plus u get a little more oomph from a 5 ton...

Ray

Hi Ray-- I was just reading about that so I'm pretty happy lol

My Father dropped everything off.We pulled the splitter out of the truck and put it on the ground and then he handed me a few white birch splits from his test drive.
Then he hands me the gas can and saw and said "Your gonna f'in love this thing! It took me forever to get it started GD POS" and off he went.

hareball said:
peterc38 said:

What should I watch out for?

Chaps are designed to spagetti the gas saws and JAM them.

Egads! Why do people keep buying those things?! Christmas Tree Shops had a Poulan Pro blower/vac this summer for $59 and, while there, people were going ga-ga over it. One guy had four in his cart and saw my disgust:

"What, is this not a great deal?"
"No, those things are crap."
"Why?"
"Cause you'll never get 'em started."
"Oh, yeah? How do you know?"
"Cause those four are the ones my brother returned after spending two hours on the fifth trying to get it running."

Spend the $40 and get an Echo, for Gawd's sake! You save about $700 buying an electric splitter over a gas!

S

Return the poolan if you can they are terrible I had one and knew 2 other guys with the same green POS all had the same problem won't start . The saws would start after 10-20 pulls when cold and die if you set it down for more than 30seconds and when they get hot will not start at all.
The poo pro models seem a little better (yellow case).
I have an electric homelite from HD with auto oiler and no tool chain adjust and it works decent for cutting down long splits out in the wood shed but a gas model will do much better just not a poolan. Of course if you are mainly cutting stuff under 12" the homelite will do fine and the price is decent around 50.00 I think

Gonna drain the gas and bring it back and see if they have the 14" Echo n stock.
Was looking at the Chaps from Echo but they don't come in my size :/

I feel better now, took the Pull-on and on and on back to HD and walked out with a Echo with 18" bar. :)

hareball, though you'll never get the time you spent being cheap back, I think in the end you'll make out. I have an Echo blower/vac and it's super sa-weet.

Good luck and enjoy!

S

Status
Not open for further replies.