electric outlet for Avalon Olympic blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockreid

May 7, 2008
Stamford, CT
hello, wrote yesterday about liner and have another question concerning where to have an electrician place the electrical power for the blower fan? Should I have a regular outlet installed and where? I have a masonry chimney and 1 ft. tall masonry hearth with 18 inch granite tile on the top of the hearth.

I, and many, have the same sort of hearth setup. (Electric in brick is very rare.) Check to be sure the cord from the blower can be moved to left or right side. Then, just keep reminding the wife that it's only temporary and will be coiled up and neatly stored away all summer. That's what I do anyway. Oh, and most of the cord hides behind the kindling can.

Avalon offers a UL listed wiring kit that allows you to install the electrical inside the fireplace cavity. You will need to drill into the fireplace from underneath, or from the side or back, but the result is no wire showing on the hearth. We've used it several times.

Sean

Dunno if it's of any help to you, but if you look just to left of the stove you can see the control and power cord for the blower kit on our Lopi Liberty. I had considered trying to do something more "tidy", but after looking at the options, I decided to just plug the thing in the way it is. Now we hardly ever notice it. Your Avalon may not have the control box in-line with the power cord, I don't know...maybe your setup's different. Anyway, just doing like this isn't a problem for us. Rick

Attachments

• stovecat2.jpg
    stovecat2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 204
Hi Fossil,

the blowers on the inserts do not use the same control box setup. The speed control is integrated with the fan casing. The interior wiring kit connects to the this blower through a small port and use a beadex wire casing that connects to the junction box inside the fireplace.

Sean

Ah, Sean, that would certainly make for a cleaner install/look. Wasn't sure we were talking about an insert or a freestanding. If I'd had an option like that, I'd no doubt have gone that way. Rick

I myself just plug in the blower in a outlet next to the fireplace insert!Its hardly noticeable.I placed my cleaning rack in front of the fan contol box to hide that.

Status
Not open for further replies.