Electric splitter help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shanenest

Oct 1, 2008
MA
I had a round fall onto the electrical box where the extension cord connects to the motor. Opened the box up figuring I would see the other end of a short red wire that split off, but nothings there. Does that red wire need to be reconnected to the wire nut with the other red wire? I don't see how it was ever connected there since the red wire is so short.
IMG_7312.jpeg
IMG_7316.jpeg

somebody used a piece of cable that is meant for a different application so it has an extra wire.
If you look at the plug end you will probably find the same short red wire.

Wire nuts and electrical tape didn’t come from the factory. Looks like someone else had been inside and used a cable that had one extra wire in it - and just cut it off. At least that is what it looks like from the pic.