Electrical / Fan Issue on Heat N Glo SL-750TR-D

smoyer85

New Member
Oct 11, 2019
3
PA
I have a Heat N Glo SL-750TR-D Propane fireplace produced around 2004. I am having an ongoing issue where the fan will not turn on when the fireplace gets up to temp. Eventually the fireplace shuts down on its own after approx. 10 minutes; I assume because it gets too hot. I've replaced the thermopile thinking that is a common issue, but that didn't change anything. I've replaced the temp sensor switch, but still can't get the fan to turn on. I've changed nothing else, and it used to work fine. So I know everything is hooked up correctly. I've unplugged the fan from the Junction Box and plugged it directly into an outlet, and the fan works fine. The Junction box also has power so I doubt its that. My next thought is the wiring or the Rheostat. Both seem fine though. Wiring seems perfectly okay. Rheostat acts normally but it could be that, I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!
 

DAKSY

Patriot Guard Rider Moderator
Staff member
1. Is the thermodisk in SOLID contact with the fireplace body? A small gap will cause it to work erratically.
2. If your burner shuts down, & the pilot stays lit, the thermoPILE may be bad. The ThermoCOUPLE controls the pilot side.
3. Have you taken any readings on the thermoPILE with a multimeter?
 
Last edited:

smoyer85

New Member
Oct 11, 2019
3
PA
Thanks for your reply!

1. As far as I can tell the thermodisk is in solid contact. I replaced it with a new one, but yes it is screwed in as tightly as possible using the original screw and plate. Can't see or feel any gap.
2. I've already just replaced the thermopile. That's the very first thing I did. Pilot will light and stay lit. Only goes out after it overheats. (about 10 minutes)
3. I have not taken any readings, I don't own a multimeter. The pilot stays lit, and the fireplace lights up like normal. It just goes out because the fan won't kick on. The fan works when I plug it in a separate outlet however.

Thank you!
 

smoyer85

New Member
Oct 11, 2019
3
PA
Sorry if I answer this in 2 ways because I'm not sure what you mean exactly. The junction box is "cold" to the touch. (I don't think you mean that though). I unplugged the fan from the junction box and plugged in a small lamp, and yes there is power to the junction box. Hopefully I answered your question correctly.