Elm ok for burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Elm even comes with attached kindling.
20191125_141415.jpg

Reactions: johneh
I like Elm, it can be stringy an twisted, But My splitter is equipped with a thin wedge, it slices through rather than using brute force. behind the wedge is a spreader. I seldom have to do any thing with addition tools. You can get into problems with any kind of wood so yes, I have had to resort to a sledge hammer and / or a wedge to free up the splitter. heck one time I had to use the little limbing saw

I have a dead one I have to take down that is about 15" at the base. The amount of work it takes to split the first 10 ft or so, I think I'm going to noodle cut it.

I have had some of my hardest work when splitting elm but once it is dry it burns pretty good. My father dropped a larger elm at his place years ago probably 30 inch diameter. He was just going to burn the trunk but I decided to split it. It was only about a 2 truck loads this trunk piece but I worked at it for hours. I had every wedge stuck a rough day but I just would not give in. He just laughed at my stupid determination but it did get split. He even let me take it all home since he said I worked so hard for it. Every time I burned a piece of that elm I remembered that cold rainy crappy day but the wood burned hot. (at least it did in my mind)

Reactions: Woody Stover