Emerald Ash Borer in North Carolina

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
EVSwxIdm.jpg

This is near Weaverville NC, at my brother's girlfriend's house. She saw that this big ash tree was dying and she called the experts out. They said, emerald ash borer

VRYksMhm.jpg

The tree guys came out yesterday and cut down the tree. I counted the rings, it is 110 years old.
23 inches at the base and about 95 feet high.

DL7Cxffm.jpg

Judy told me that she had 5 other ash trees that these guys whacked yesterday, but they were smaller than this one.

Attachments

• EVSwxIdl.jpg
    EVSwxIdl.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Welcome to the party. Been here a few years now. Say goodbye to all your local ash, in the next three or four years.

It is a bad party for ash trees........But it will keep my house warm for years to come.

In Wisconsin, it looks like they've given up trying to contain ash borer, at least within the state.

"As of 2018, the entire state of Wisconsin is quarantined for emerald ash borer. The EAB quarantine no longer regulates county-to-county firewood movement in the state. However, movement of firewood out of Wisconsin to non-quarantined areas in other states is still prohibited."

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 155
That log should go to the sawmill not for firewood. Just my thoughts though. Should be a lot of Ash furniture around in the coming years. Every Ash around me is dead or is infected. In three years I would say not one will be standing alive in this area. Other trees nearby will take over but still a significant loss. Probably 15% -20% of the canopy cover in this area.

That log should go to the sawmill not for firewood. Just my thoughts though. Should be a lot of Ash furniture around in the coming years. Every Ash around me is dead or is infected. In three years I would say not one will be standing alive in this area. Other trees nearby will take over but still a significant loss. Probably 15% -20% of the canopy cover in this area.
Yet I still get crap from people every time I suggest they shouldn't transport firewood very far.

Reactions: Ashful
Yes that tree should go to the sawmill. However, it is in the back yard which is a mountain that just goes up.
This is a $700K house and the back yard is an extensive rock garden. No way to get to it with a truck, no way to haul that big trunk out of there.

My brother wanted to cut it up for firewood, he is my neighbor, and he also has a Jotul.
However, we live 20 miles away from this deceased tree. I am afraid that if we get this wood we may import the ash blight to our properties. So that tree is just going to rot. Wie schade.

The entire state of North Carolina is quarantined for the emerald ash borer.

If that were a Black Cherry that size, someone would find a way. The borer is going to find it's way around. Really no stopping it. Tree in North Carolina has it. Tree 500 feet away in TN does not. What's going to stop it.

Reactions: SpaceBus
If that were a Black Cherry that size, someone would find a way. The borer is going to find it's way around. Really no stopping it. Tree in North Carolina has it. Tree 500 feet away in TN does not. What's going to stop it.
So no point in trying?

Haven't seen any here in Maine yet, but there are flyers and pamphlets everywhere about EAB and warnings about transporting firewood. I had no idea how expensive cherry could be until getting quotes for cherry windows. You are totally right about a cherry tree of that size. We have a few tiny pin cherry trees, but they get such heavy canopies they fall down. I'm sure you know about all the beautiful cherry trees in and around DC. I was lucky enough to be staying in Bethesda when they bloomed in 2013.

So no point in trying?
I suspect that the spread can only be slowed, never stop. What that's worth to you, or anyone else, means something different to each person affected.

But you definitely can protect your trees without enormous cost or effort. I've been using the basal trunk spray, and excepting one tree that was heavily compromised before I started, I have so far saved all of my ash trees. My neighbors have lost most of theirs. My cost is only a few dollars per tree per year, and it takes me maybe 3 minutes per tree per year.

Reactions: baseroom
I suspect that the spread can only be slowed, never stop. What that's worth to you, or anyone else, means something different to each person affected.

But you definitely can protect your trees without enormous cost or effort. I've been using the basal trunk spray, and excepting one tree that was heavily compromised before I started, I have so far saved all of my ash trees. My neighbors have lost most of theirs. My cost is only a few dollars per tree per year, and it takes me maybe 3 minutes per tree per year.
Yes but there are many other invasive species here most actually get stopped before they spread to far. The one that is scary now is the spotted lantern fly. I agree the ash borer is a lost cause. But still shouldn't be careless