Hauling Ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
The emerald ash borers killed this 95 foot tree. It was leaning towards my brother's house, so last summer I cut it down. Yesterday we cut it up and hauled it up the hill with the WD tractor.

IMG_0006 (1).JPG

Most of the dead ash trees around here are gone. Not many dead standing left. Some good firewood...

Reactions: thewoodlands
Got another truck load today. My brother and I have cut up 8 ash trees, 2 of them were bigger than this one. They were easy to split. This tree was very difficult to split.

IMG_0003.JPG

Reactions: Vg3200p
Most of the dead ash trees around here are gone. Not many dead standing left. Some good firewood...
My brother just got one that was still decent, from a neighbor. He's close to Holy Hill.
Borer didn't get here until recently so we still have good ones to get. Stoves will be on an Ash-heavy diet for a while.
Sad to lose the Ash..just a great all-around firewood. 😔

Reactions: Gearhead660
Yes this about wraps it up for ash, for us. It is great firewood. I also like the funky smell of ash.

90%+ of all the Ash around here have succumbed or actively under attack by the borer. Ash dropping everywhere anytime we get a wind above 30 mph. The wood burns good but Ash leaves a lot of, well, ash.

I had to take it in to the shop yesterday for a new chain. The guys at the shop were admiring my saw.

IMG_0449_zps72346df2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Gearhead660
24 inch at the base. Zero rot. I sawed it up and brother split it. I got a good truckload, got to go back today and get another truck load.

View attachment 307967 View attachment 307968 View attachment 307969 View attachment 307970 View attachment 307971
Hate to be big brother, but put safety glasses on. Mauls, axes etc shoot little shrapnel occasionally. A couple of hundred $ of firewood isn't worth an eye injury. Amazing how many people don't use glasses with chainsaws. I didn't use glasses for a decade in my younger years.

I've been watching the ash die off heading north up the I-43 corridor for a few years now. Unfortunately it is up here in Manitowoc county now and the ash in my woods is infected. That is too bad, I hate to see it, but I will have a lot of ash firewood for the next few years.

Last edited:
I had to take it in to the shop yesterday for a new chain. The guys at the shop were admiring my saw.

View attachment 308014
I'll bet. One of the best 50cc's of all time. I have been keeping my eye out for one so that I can leave my 450 at my buddies farm.

I'll muffler mod it and delete the base gasket and run it forever.

yeah the Oregon Forestry helmet was on my Xmas list. has the eye-shield and ear protection. Recommend that for anyone cutting down dead standing as you never know when a limb will break off a piece