EMERGENCY HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mach1john

Nov 11, 2010
eastern maine
I have a Pacific Energy Super 27. While filling the stove a flat piece of metal dropped down into the box. According to the manual it looks like a "Flame shield" part #115. I need to order one immediately and install it myself. The parts diagram doesn't say how or where it goes. Can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction?

That's odd that it dropped down, normally is sits on the top of the baffle. I think there is a notch on one end of the shield that slips under a bolt there. Not sure you need to get a new one. Drop the baffle and look for the bolt hole or stub. I will see if I can find a picture for you.

That's odd that it dropped down, normally is sits on the top of the baffle. I think there is a notch on one end of the shield that slips under a bolt there. Not sure you need to get a new one. Drop the baffle and look for the bolt hole or stub. I will see if I can find a picture for you.
Thanks for the reply. The piece that fell is completely destroyed. What fell is about 12 inches by roughly 5.5 inches. Looks like their might be more still up above the baffle. Stove is still full of coals so I have to let it go out and cool before I take it apart. Not good this time of year. Any ideas where I can get one?

You can order one from any PE dealer. Call around to local PE dealers to see if they have one in stock. Or give Tom Oyen a call at www.chimneysweeponline.com (888) 354-6722 9 - 5 Mon-Fri (Pacific Time)

For the rest of us Super 27 users, do you know what caused this to happen? What does it look like? Have you ever had an overfire?

For the rest of us Super 27 users, do you know what caused this to happen? What does it look like? Have you ever had an overfire?
It is a piece of metal about 12 inches wide. There is more left above the baffle but what fell out was a very rusted and jagged piece that is about 5 and a half inches long. Imagine a very roughly ripped piece of paper. To the best of my knowledge I have never had an overfire. The stove was made in 2000 so I hope that it is just normal wear. I replaced the brick guards last year and the metal looked very similar. Really distorted. I have to wait until the stove cools down to drop the baffle and have a look. I will keep you updated.

Well, 16 years is getting up there. Be sure to call Tom as begreen suggested. He may be able to get one out to you pretty quick. I have no idea if you should operate the stove like this or not, but Tom can help with that too. I don't think I would, though.

If you do talk to Tom Oyen, please ask him if this is somewhat normal for it's age. I''d consider him a PE expert.

No pallet wood or driftwood. Just seasoned hardwood. I got ahold of Tom at Chimneysweep.com. He had one in stock and shipped it out. Great to deal with. Thanks begreen! Update when it is installed. Friday it's supposed to be a high of 8 degrees.
I knew he'd be able to help. Did he let you know if any of this is normal, including the brick guards? I'd kind of like to know what to expect in the future..
Glad you're getting the part.

I knew he'd be able to help. Did he let you know if any of this is normal, including the brick guards? I'd kind of like to know what to expect in the future..
Glad you're getting the part.
He said it's not unheard of. He does sell a few flame shields. Combination of 16 years old and pretty cold winters probably contributed to the failures of both items. Brick guards were super easy to replace. Tom said the flame shield is pretty straight forward too. My advice, which I will follow, is every time I clean my chimney I will take the stove pipe off the stove and inspect everything.

He said it's not unheard of. He does sell a few flame shields. Combination of 16 years old and pretty cold winters probably contributed to the failures of both items. Brick guards were super easy to replace. Tom said the flame shield is pretty straight forward too. My advice, which I will follow, is every time I clean my chimney I will take the stove pipe off the stove and inspect everything.
Thanks. Good to know. Sounds like good advice, too. I am a little curious how close you are to the coast. I used to live on the Pacific coast and I know how corrosive it can be just being close.

Any chance your wood could have collected a little salt over time?

Last edited:
Sprinter I live directly on the ocean. I never thought of my wood getting salty. Good point. Flame shield is in. Fit like a glove. Thanks Tom at chimneysweep.com. Highly recommended!

Reactions: Sprinter
Sprinter I live directly on the ocean. I never thought of my wood getting salty. Good point. Flame shield is in. Fit like a glove. Thanks Tom at chimneysweep.com. Highly recommended!
I wish I could advise you on a remedy. I just hope your stove doesn't look anything like my Harley's chrome! Maybe spray it off before using if the salt hasn't invaded too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.