Empire Elite users

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

logger6644

Jan 30, 2013
Upstate New York
I have had an Empire Elite 100 since 2011. I have always struggled with ash and creosote buildup resulting in two leaks. The first unit was replaced under warranty, the second,I patched the leak myself. I removed the fan to clean it and while reinstalling it I noticed a significant air gap,1/4 inch, under the fan. The gasket installed by the factory was much to thin to seal the gap,but is impossible to see without removing the fan. I replaced it with a thicker foam gasket and reinstalled the fan. The difference was amazing! For the first time ever, it seemed to be breathing correctly. Best secondary burn I can recall. So I would urge any Empire owners still out there to check the seals on their fans. ?

Reactions: Roundgunner
I know this is an old thread, do you still have yours? Just bought one for a good price that seems in good shape with no signs of any leaks. Looking for more info

Hello PA. I have not a lot of good to say about the boiler. I gave up on mine after two leaks last winter. They both occurred near the firebrick where the creosote would tend to accumulate. The boiler wall is only 1/8" thick mild steel and prone to corroding. This was my second boiler, the first leaking and being replaced under warranty. The second failed in its third season even with taking care to maintain PH levels. I have manuals if you are interested. It worked well when it was working. The company is out of business as far as I know.

Hello PA. I have not a lot of good to say about the boiler. I gave up on mine after two leaks last winter. They both occurred near the firebrick where the creosote would tend to accumulate. The boiler wall is only 1/8" thick mild steel and prone to corroding. This was my second boiler, the first leaking and being replaced under warranty. The second failed in its third season even with taking care to maintain PH levels. I have manuals if you are interested. It worked well when it was working. The company is out of business as far as I know.

Hello Logger! Thanks for the reply!

I've heard about that with these stoves, tore mine all apart and found alot of creosote build up on mine also behind the firebricks and in the ceramic blanket insulation. No signs of leaks yet that I can see anyway, I am planning to pull those bricks and blankets once a month or so for cleaning if it builds up. When I was going over and cleaning everything half of the burn tubes were packed completely shut, so I'm not so sure it was cleaned properly. But luckily wasn't used much from what I gathered from the previous owner who said it was in the house when she moved in.

It's a 2011 model, has the stainless curtain, I've just about got it all hooked up, still waiting on a danfoss valve to arrive (I don't beleave it had any protection previously) so looking forward to getting her going

Hello Logger! Thanks for the reply!

I've heard about that with these stoves, tore mine all apart and found alot of creosote build up on mine also behind the firebricks and in the ceramic blanket insulation. No signs of leaks yet that I can see anyway, I am planning to pull those bricks and blankets once a month or so for cleaning if it builds up. When I was going over and cleaning everything half of the burn tubes were packed completely shut, so I'm not so sure it was cleaned properly. But luckily wasn't used much from what I gathered from the previous owner who said it was in the house when she moved in.

It's a 2011 model, has the stainless curtain, I've just about got it all hooked up, still waiting on a danfoss valve to arrive (I don't beleave it had any protection previously) so looking forward to getting her going
I always had to clean the tubes every day, was quick with a steel brush and flex rod, but could be work if you don't keep up. I was burning dry hardwood too. I tried sealing with rope gasketing at top of bricks, still got creosote. Good luck, sounds like you know what you are doing. My old one is outside my shop and could give you parts if needed.

Reactions: PA Woodhound
I always had to clean the tubes every day, was quick with a steel brush and flex rod, but could be work if you don't keep up. I was burning dry hardwood too. I tried sealing with rope gasketing at top of bricks, still got creosote. Good luck, sounds like you know what you are doing. My old one is outside my shop and could give you parts if needed.

Certainly appreciate that and will keep it in mind!
Mine came with a new in the box spare convection fan, I'm planning to bolt that one up b4 first fire and just save the old as a spare. What was the rest of your setup?
How long had your fan been leaking? I'm wondering if that may have had a big part in why yours was clogging up so bad?
Did you run a danfoss? From what I've read it seems all these boilers need a way to protect from to cold of water comming back so I ordered one.

One other thought I had was the ceramic blanket that is,under the bricks on these, I ordered a roll to replace mine, but I've been pondering the idea of just putting the fire brick right against the steel and removing and cleaning behind them once a month. My thoughts are maybe it'll keep that area hotter and cut down on buildup.

Thanks for the info!

I had a thermostatic valve bypass that kept water temp at 140 plus. Air mixture at secondary burn is critical and no real way to adjust and a tortuous path the secondary air takes, which I think is a serious design flaw. The air leak may have contributed to it. I don't think eliminating the insulation will help, the creosote will find its way behind the bricks. I think a solution would involve a design that forced creosote to flow down walls and over bricks to burn off. Could not figure out how to do it as a retrofit. Overall I think it is a poor design so keeping it clean and water maintained is probably best you can do. Hopefully you will get a few years out of it.