Empowerment........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BadDad320

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2008
NW New Jersey
The cool thing about this pellet stove thing or one of the many cool things actually is the empowerment I feel about the whole situation. I feel like I am in charge of my heating energy. I feel like I'm doing my part to reduce dependence on foreign oil. Anyway, it just makes me feel better and that I and my family are prepared. I actually feel like I can make a difference. BadDad320............

You're still dependent on pellet companies, but your point is well taken.

BadDad320 said:
The cool thing about this pellet stove thing or one of the many cool things actually is the empowerment I feel about the whole situation. I feel like I am in charge of my heating energy. I feel like I'm doing my part to reduce dependence on foreign oil. Anyway, it just makes me feel better and that I and my family are prepared. I actually feel like I can make a difference. BadDad320............

and it's not as labor intensive as cordwood!!! :)

BadDad320, I know exactly what you're saying.

There are many good reasons to purchase and use a pellet stove and for me is the sense of security knowing that I already have my fuel bought and paid for, for this coming winter. A little different for me because I am only heating half of my house with my pellet stove due to the length of my house (long floor plan), but still a good feeling just the same. I will at least be cutting my fuel oil costs in half. If all works out, I'll buy another pellet stove for the other end of the house next year.

I'm tired of being at the mercy (or lack thereof) of the big oil companies. There's nothing anyone can do to control the price of oil, but it's the idea of paying some executives millions upon millions of dollars out of pure greed that bothers me most. I would much rather pay for pellets made in North America than pay for oil from overseas. Who knows not only what the price of fuel oil will be come November, but the availability as well. We are all doing our part, reducing our dependency on foreign oil, and putting MUCH less emissions into the air therefore less polution.

Another thing too is I wouldn't be suprised if the local fuel oil companies decide to add a delivery/diesel fuel fee for their trucks too!

You're absolutely right and it is a good feeling.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.