Empress FPI and PA Pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lennyden

Mar 26, 2008
Southeastern MA
Looking for some info. I recently had an Empress FPI installed and am using PA Pellets (was told they were a good hardwood, low ash pellet). These pellets are producing what I would consider a large amount of ash (based on what others have told me). Basically, the ash pan is full and overflowing with about 3 inches of ash built up around the sides of the burn pot after about three 40lb bags (just about 3 days). Is it the stove, the pellets or a combination of both? A friend that has another stove only has to clean out his ash pan maybe once a week or less, and his ash pan is a lot smaller, though taller, than mine.

Any ideas? Are PA Pellets not that good? A local retailer sells Pinnacle Pellets (softwood), I hear softwood actually may be better, burn hotter and produce less ash. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I found PA Pellets to be the least desirable pellet I've burned to date. I have tried about 8 different brands to see which brand works best in my stove. If you can, buy a bag or two from different manufacturers to see which one you like most.

That's unfortunate since I just bought a ton of PA Pellets. Have you ever tried the softwoods like Pinnacle? Which one of the hardwoods do you like the best in terms of low ash? LOL, nevermind, I just read your post on the other thread. I wish I found this site before I purchased the pellets. I'll take your advice and try a few bags of each and see how they burn...that is if the cold weather holds out long enough.

Anyone have an Empress FPI that they'd care to comment on? Are you happy with it, how often do you need to clean it and/or empty the ash pan?

Owned my empress FS for a little under a year now and have burned just over 3 tons of pellets in it. I have to clean the burn pot about every 3 days or it will not auto ignite (i am using thermostat on/off mode. However recently i have been trying out thermostat high/low) I clean the ash pan and the entire firebox about once a week it's about 3/4 full, with a little build up on the sides of the firebox.

I have burned 3 tons of New England Hardwood Premium and was very happy with them though a tad pricey at about 230-250 a ton, they have been the cleanest burning so far. Unfortunately i ran out and picked up 10 bags of some stuff the dealer got a great price on, they were a softwood premium brand and i am not happy at all with them, the stove is much dirtier inside although the ash is comparable. Once these are gone i will be experimenting with some other brands in hopes to save a couple more bucks.

hope this helps

Tim

P.s. what is the contact info for the dealer you purchased your stove from. Mine went out of business since i bought the stove and i need to call about some possible warranty service. Thanks!

I purchased mine from August West Chimney Co. (also called Fireplace & Patio Concepts by August West), 300 Oak Street, Unit 270, Pembroke, MA 02359. (781) 829-9895

My Empress doesn't have a thermostat (high/low) that I know of, just 5 speeds/levels of control. I'm going to try and change pellets, I'd like to get a week out of the stove before it needs to be cleaned out....not sure if that's going to be possible. I did buy one of those Cougar vacuums which makes it MUCH easier (faster) to clean it out, but every three days is kind of a pain if you know what I mean.

As far as the pellets go, I probably got taken (although I called a few places), they charged me $315 including delivery (not too far away, only about 5 miles). Seems like I can do better than that from what I'm reading, especially since I got these PA Pellets which seem to really produce a lot of ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.