Empyre Elite 200: creosote build up in air chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GaryM

Feb 14, 2015
Lake of Bays, Canada
This is my second season with this unit. Creosote builds up on the smoke door and upper air chamber, runs down and builds up under the fire brick and the lower air channel. I just cleaned it a month ago and had to clean it again today which means: shutting it off for a good day and a half and spending three hours chipping at creosote. ProFab said that it can accumulate creosote if the wood level is too high. It's -20C to -30C and I'd like to get ten hours between fills. I have been getting 10-11 hours but the creosote problem is huge. The creosote cakes up so bad on the loading door handle that you can hardly open it. I burn well-seasoned, 2-years dried wood. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Does the boiler have return temp protection? Do you know your supply & return temps? Unfortunately one side effect of long burn times with a boiler is creosote production from extended smoldering - some handle it better than others. Not sure how you can easily reduce that aside from smaller more frequent fires. This sort of sounds like what I've read others saying had lead to leaks - so good luck.

Yes, i have return temp protection. Boiler runs at 170 with a 5 degree differential, it feeds a plate heat exchanger which feeds a loop that is between 150 and 170. It runs 24/7 in the winter. i was contemplating a storage tank before i bought it but space is an issue.

Yes, i have return temp protection. Boiler runs at 170 with a 5 degree differential, it feeds a plate heat exchanger which feeds a loop that is between 150 and 170. It runs 24/7 in the winter. i was contemplating a storage tank before i bought it but space is an issue.
i hate to give you the bad new but you need to just get rid of the stove to solve your problem. i had two elite 200 in two years. the second stove i had was the same way. since it was installed it was every 30 to when i had to tear it down and clean it. Ben the head engineer came out and spent three hours tearing my stove apart to find no problrms just a poor design. i complained so much and a bad report to the Canada BBB profab sent a check to my dealer and me for about half of what they promised. with my dealers help i was able to switch over to a heat master 200 and loving it. i wish you the best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.