End of season maintenance / summer lay-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danjayh

Aug 23, 2012
Hello, all,

I installed a Maxim M175 pellet boiler last fall, and ran it through the winter. I'm just wondering what you guys do for summer lay-up? I just made sure that the water had the right chemical balance, and I've left the circulation pump on and I've been allowing a little flow through my sidearm to steal heat from the DHW heater and keep the water in my boiler around ~95 (typical high temperatures during the day here are mid 80s to low 90s), the idea being that I don't want condensation forming inside the boiler.

It occurred to me today that I should ask those of you who have been doing it a while what you do to keep your boilers healthy - I'm mostly concerned with corrosion. Should I have thoroughly scraped the inside of the burn chamber at the end of the season? I did scrape enough to get all of the 'fluffy' creosote off, but there's a thin sheen of hard, almost glassy looking stuff (maybe between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch) that I didn't bother to remove ... too difficult to get off. Will that cause damage/rust to the metal? Do you guys spray any kind of oil/water repellent inside the boiler to help protect against rust?

I read online that it's a good idea to fill it all the way to the top, above the fill line to prevent rust. Should I have done that?

Status
Not open for further replies.