End of Season Refurbishing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Caw

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2020
Massachusetts
I just cleaned out and did the end of season inspection of the inside of the stove today and all is well. The outside however could use a little TLC. Ignore the mastiff drool I'll be wiping that up but there are some spots that got some water/drool/heat/scratch damage I'd like to touch up. I've attached some pictures, what would you recommend doing and which products do you like?

Stove is an Osburn 1600. I have some high heat rustoleum black matte spray paint I use for other things but I'm concerned that won't match the finish/be messy.

20210505_123123.jpg20210505_123117.jpg20210505_123111.jpg20210505_123939.jpg

You guys are familiar with the drooler:

1619482806164.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just cleaned out and did the end of season inspection of the inside of the stove today and all is well. The outside however could use a little TLC. Ignore the mastiff drool I'll be wiping that up but there are some spots that got some water/drool/heat/scratch damage I'd like to touch up. I've attached some pictures, what would you recommend doing and which products do you like?

Stove is an Osburn 1600. I have some high heat rustoleum black matte spray paint I use for other things but I'm concerned that won't match the finish/be messy.

View attachment 278483View attachment 278484View attachment 278485View attachment 278486

View attachment 278487

I recommend a towel first so no paint is needed later:p

I recommend a towel first so no paint is needed later:p

Lol. Yeah not much you can do when a giant slinger hits a 650 degree stovetop. It's all wiped up now I'm just hesitant to use any old paint. I don't want it to stand out.

I hear you.
I think patch jobs will always be visible. Is spraying that whole part an option?

Reactions: Highbeam and EbS-P
With kids and dogs it’s just never ending. My parents said they would get a new sofa when their last cat passed. Cat lived for almost 20 years..... personally I’d wait another season(or two) pull it out and do it all with stove bright. Could even change the color. If you can’t wait see if you can use the same paint as the manufacturer.
What goes good with burnt drool?
honey glow brown or redwood ? Stove Bright High Temp Spray Paint - Up to 1200 Degrees - Many Colors (1990 - Satin Black) Amazon product ASIN B07RPPLXM9
I would probably just get the brush on if I was doing a whole stove.
Evan

I would spray the whole thing with stove brite or aw perkins stove paint. Either satin or metallic black

Reactions: marty319
Ok thanks for the suggestions. You're right about it being never ending with dogs/little kids...not just on stoves on everything lol. I'll give it a best I can scrub for now and see how annoying the spots are next year. They aren't annoying enough to warrant pulling it out yet and that seems to be the consensus best idea.

Edit- actually I can fix the ash pan and maybe the door this year as I can just remove those. The top will need to wait tho.

How much prep does the surface need with steel wool before spraying?

Ok thanks for the suggestions. You're right about it being never ending with dogs/little kids...not just on stoves on everything lol. I'll give it a best I can scrub for now and see how annoying the spots are next year. They aren't annoying enough to warrant pulling it out yet and that seems to be the consensus best idea.

Edit- actually I can fix the ash pan and maybe the door this year as I can just remove those. The top will need to wait tho.

How much prep does the surface need with steel wool before spraying?

Just get all the rust and loose stuff off and maybe scratch up the rest a tad. Adhesion is more your worry than cosmetics- flat stove paint is very forgiving, not at all difficult to get a good finish out of.

Remember it will stink again every time you hit a new high temp, so burn it real hot with the windows open in warm weather.

I use Stove Brite and my rusty old stove looks brand new again.

We repainted the whole house minus two bedrooms (2600 sq ft of space—1200 sq ft of ceilings of that 1/2 exposed joists) in the last 12 months. I stopped counting when the paint total passed 1200$. It looked great for 2 months. Now it all needs washed and touched up. I didn’t even get a chance to get to all the trim. Might wait till the 3 more years till the youngest is 6 to to that ! We do have a Picasso that uses any thing for a canvas I can tell you target and Crayola marker formulas are much easier cleaning than 10 years ago. Gatorade still stains just like it always has.

Reactions: stoveliker

View attachment 278483View attachment 278484View attachment 278485View attachment 278486

View attachment 278487
Is that not black metallic on your osburn! My 2300 is.how is the big galoute doing?

Is that not black metallic on your osburn! My 2300 is.how is the big galoute doing?

Good question, I honestly don't know. I'm going to check the manual before doing anything.

Gordon is still growing and doing Gordon things. ;lol

Reactions: marty319
Once cured and a couple weeks worth of dust is on it, the various brands of stove paint are almost indistinguishable, unless you are changing gloss levels.
As far as prep, you don't really need to sand, a simple wipe down will do...the local stove shop told me to use Windex, I dunno about all that...I used some automotive grease remover/surface prep that I had left over, that seemed to work fine.
I've used rubbing alcohol before too...that was also fine...high temp black is just not that finicky it seems...

Good question, I honestly don't know. I'm going to check the manual before doing anything.

I have the best luck with Stove Brite satin black on steel stoves and metallic black on cast iron stoves.

Somehow my brain made a connection there: "growing + doing = drooling" >>

I have the best luck with Stove Brite satin black on steel stoves and metallic black on cast iron stoves.

Mine is obviously steel. I'm going to test it on the ash lip that covers the blower and see how it matches. If it's good I'll do the whole stove in a season or two and if it's bad it's easy enough to redo that one part as it's removable. The stove itself isn't bad enough to warrant pulling it out yet.

Reactions: EbS-P