Endeavor vr Endeavor Hybrid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ShaneMac

Sep 28, 2021
Ontario
I'm starting to get some quotes in for an Endeavor and Liberty and they happened to send the first quote as the Endeavor Hybrid. I can't find much information on it yet but curious if anyone has used one yet that can report? I was a bit surprised the the cost for the Regular and Hybrid were the same with the Liberty being about $850 more. I'm really liking the Endeavor firebox design + upsize in new version (2.5) more so then the Liberty E/W preference though.

Reactions: rlcampbell
The Endeavor has been a workhorse in the Lopi line for a few decades. The design was modified in 2020 to a slightly shallower firebox. The Endeavor hybrid is new. Its track record is unestablished. It is a more complex stove with a catalyst that will need servicing. I don't see a flame shield in front of the cat like there is on BK stoves. webby3650 may be able to provide some more background info on the stove. One benefit is that it qualifies for the tax credit.

Their cat stoves and hybrids have a lot of fly ash that accumulate on the cat, but so far I haven’t seen any premature wear or failure of cats with Lopi products. Brushing off the fly ash mid season isn’t a big deal.

Their cat stoves and hybrids have a lot of fly ash that accumulate on the cat, but so far I haven’t seen any premature wear or failure of cats with Lopi products. Brushing off the fly ash mid season isn’t a big deal.
Hopefully, there will be none of the issues noted with the Cape Cod.

Hopefully, there will be none of the issues noted with the Cape Cod.
Its issues were associated with poor casting quality. Cat problems was speculation, they discontinued the stove before we knew for sure on that..

Reactions: begreen
Thank you for the information.

I just went thru a similar situation. I'm in Texas and new to woodburning, not many dealers down here. I really wanted a non-cat Endeavor, but all they had was a Hybrid. Was told they couldn't get the older Endeavor either. They had one Evergreen that was a non-cat , but my wife had her heart set on an Endeavor. The dealership assured me the cat wasnt something to be scared of, and I succumbed. Now 2 days later I have a bad case of buyers remorse. Really considering calling the dealership and switching back to the Evergreen non-cat. The install is scheduled out a few weeks, so there should be time for me to drive myself crazy. It was a grueling decision.
My wife and I do have concerns about the EPA forcing the cats on the public the way they did with cars back in the day.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Been lurking on this forum for a couple of weeks now, and am very impressed with the admins and members knowledge and helpfulness.
Thanks to all.

Last edited:
The original Endeavor was a classic design secondary stove with robust construction. It is a medium-sized workhorse. They have been an EPA stove since around 1989?

Cat stoves do require a bit more maintenance, but it shouldn't be onerous unless there is a design flaw. There are other factors besides the cat that should be considered. Things that affect draft like short chimney height and mild outside temperature can make a good stove perform poorly. And then there is poorly seasoned wood.

The original Endeavor was a classic design secondary stove with robust construction. It is a medium-sized workhorse. They have been an EPA stove since around 1989?

Cat stoves do require a bit more maintenance, but it shouldn't be onerous unless there is a design flaw. There are other factors besides the cat that should be considered. Things that affect draft like short chimney height and mild outside temperature can make a good stove perform poorly. And then there is poorly seasoned wood.
Thank you sir, I appreciate the information. I need all the help I can get,lol. I have done some extensive research in woodburners, but that pales in comparison to real experience from folks like yourself. I was happy to have found this forum.
In all honesty, I believe my apprehension is based on inexperience,and making such a big commitment. I'm in a rural area, and the Lopi dealer is 40 miles away, and the next over 120 miles. The dealer I chose does service my area, so they can do the installation and service.
They have been in the business for over 20 years and enjoy a good reputation. After the winter we had in '21 they have been quite busy. The grid down here failed with the polar vortex of '21 and many (myself included ) were without power for days without any alternate heat source. natural gas, electricity, and propane were nowhere to be found. The woodburners were all puffing smoke though, so I took note of that and here I am. Lol
I certainly dont mind the maintenance, especially that which I can perform myself, I'm retired and have the time, but little knowledge and no experience with these modern stoves....they dont look anything like Grandpa's potbelly! Lol
Again thank you for the reply , I do appreciate it.

Happy to help. Do you know how tall the flue system will be from stove top to chimney cap? If it's on the short side, does the dealer sell other brands besides Lopi?

Happy to help. Do you know how tall the flue system will be from stove top to chimney cap? If it's on the short side, does the dealer sell other brands besides Lopi?
No sir, I don’t. I asked about that when I submitted pictures of the house they asked for, being a double wide manufactured home, they just told me I would have the OAK and the flue would be above the peak. I did ask about the flue system and the dealer salesperson explained the double walled meeting Canada standard. I don’t recall the brand name, it was maybe an acronym or abbreviation ( 3 letters). I don’t think she knew the finish height, based on just the photos.
As for other brands , the only other freestanding stoves they carry are Morso and Hearthstone I believe. The install is expected before the end of November. I do wonder if I’m overly concerned about the hybrid, I explained the cat to my wife and she said she wasn’t worried about maintaining it because I was so anal about such things, lol. I’m taking that as a compliment intended or not. I’m sure the salesperson at the dealership was thinking the same thing, I made her earn the sale with numerous phone calls over the last couple weeks. I really didn’t know the Endeavors they had were all hybrids, from the website it appeared they had either. I had planned on air tubes alone. Nothing against the cats but I was just thinking less things to go wrong . However I also didn’t expect anything about this project to be simple. That’s how I ended up on this forum. The information here is more valuable than anywhere I’ve looked.

If it's a manufactured home, the flue system is going to be on the short side unless the chimney sprouts up high above the roof with bracing. The Lopi was tested on and requires at least a 15' tall flue system. I would put in an Osburn, Regency, or Pacific Energy stove in this case for best operation.

If it's a manufactured home, the flue system is going to be on the short side unless the chimney sprouts up high above the roof with bracing. The Lopi was tested on and requires at least a 15' tall flue system. I would put in an Osburn, Regency, or Pacific Energy stove in this case for best operation.
Thank you, I should first apologize for hi-jacking the OP's thread, the post was so similar to my own situation I jumped right in.
I have no idea what I'm doing and that includes this forum.
I did see the 15' minimum on Lopi website in the install directions, and expressed those concerns with the dealer. Ironically she called me Friday after speaking with their installers and they told her we were looking at 15-17' ICC double-wall with bracing just by the pics of my home.
I asked about the T5 based upon one of your threads about helping a friend in a manufactured home with a short stack. They are very agreeable to me changing my mind and expressed end goal was for me to be satisfied with money spent. They are a PE dealer , but have none in stock. The salesperson said she would see if they could get one in and supposed to call me back. Wrong time of year to be buying a stove, I realize.
the only options I have in stock are the Endeavor Hybrid and a non-cat or hybrid Evergreen, unless they can get in a PE. I'm having reservations about the hybrid being too complex for a newbie to run? I've got numerous threads bookmarked on here about run aways and overfires. My biggest concerns as a newbie.
Thanks for letting me pick your brain and everyone else's.

Last edited:
Simplest stove to run and maintain are the PE stoves. Just a pin to pull and you can take it all apart. Not bolts, nuts to seize etc. All one piece. If I could get an Endeavor I would want to pick up a used one with the bricks on top.

Last edited:
Simplest stove to run and maintain are the PE stoves. Just a pin to pull and you can take it all apart. Not bolts, nuts to seize etc. All one piece. If I could get an Endeavor I would want to pick up a used one with the bricks on top.
thanks, I'm hoping they can get me an option for a PE at least. I'm really limited based on where I live with a dealer servicing my area.
And in a manufactured home as well, so there's another limitation.
Sorry again for hi-jacking your thread!
Hope you can get what you are needing.