Endless cords will end :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Eventually.....

Banged out another 4 cords today, 7 hours of skidding, cutting, splitting and loading before the 4"of snow tonight and tomorrow.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356734125500.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356734125500.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 236
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356734140511.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356734140511.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 233
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356734151131.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356734151131.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 228
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356734161162.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356734161162.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 221
Just the pics make me tired. I am going to go lie down now.

With all that free wood, you gonna let a little snow stop you ? LOL :)
Snow may melt.
Easy to skid in the snow.
Chainsaws & splitters run OK with snow on the ground.
What's the problem LOL :) :)

4 cord in 7 hours, good days work for anyone (2) guys.
You are getting some primo wood. Gonna be hard to stop ;)

nice to get a lot done right before snow...

Reactions: WellSeasoned
With all that free wood, you gonna let a little snow stop you ? LOL :)
Snow may melt.
Easy to skid in the snow.
Chainsaws & splitters run OK with snow on the ground.
What's the problem LOL :) :)

4 cord in 7 hours, good days work for anyone (2) guys.
You are getting some primo wood. Gonna be hard to stop ;)

Planning on going back Sunday or Monday, my friend just got his late Xmas present today... a 455 Rancher, so I'll be doing most the splitting.

That is some very nice firewood!!! Maybe you can also try out the new Rancher. Sounds like fun. I may try to cut a bit of wood tomorrow too.

Dennis, I wanted to post a pic... temps today only got to 30deg F, and I noticed when splitting, the moisture in these rounds were all ice particles. Makes me wonder if actual seasoning wouldn't start until above freezing??

Naw, it will start the seasoning no matter what the temperature. Of course it won't dry as fast as it will in summer but it will still dry. Remember, it gets so dry in the winter that most folks even have trouble with their lips chapping but don't at other times of the year. I'm also reminded of the great Fred Bear, of Bear Archery. One year after starting his big factory in Grayling, Mi, he had to replace hundreds of bows, which almost broke him. The reason was that the air was so dry the glue did not work like it did during other times of the year. It was an expensive lesson but he showed what a good man he was when he replaced all of them. Then we can think of those guys who live a bit further north of us and they have very short summers but still have no problem drying their wood.

Nice work WellSeasoned, seems like a dogs age since I cut.

Cut and split in the snow.

Nice work WellSeasoned, seems like a dogs age since I cut.

I'm sore zap, sore. Last 2 times were easy, now we are getting into the bigger 30" stuff, dbl cutting means more bending with the saw. The 372 eats this stuff up. This supply over the past 3 times has yielded just under 10 cords, all for my friend and his parents. I need to clear space for 3 more cords on my property which can be done by either stacking in the woods or felling some smaller trees to expand the yards open space. The addiction is out of hand. Felling trees to make space for wood...:mad:

Reactions: milleo and zap
I'm sore zap, sore. Last 2 times were easy, now we are getting into the bigger 30" stuff, dbl cutting means more bending with the saw. The 372 eats this stuff up. This supply over the past 3 times has yielded just under 10 cords, all for my friend and his parents. I need to clear space for 3 more cords on my property which can be done by either stacking in the woods or felling some smaller trees to expand the yards open space. The addiction is out of hand. Felling trees to make space for wood...:mad:
The addiction will leave once you get 6 plus years ahead, then Smokin or Thistle will get you into milling!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Gotta start looking at CL again. Would be nice to get some of those pre-cut rounds...

Zap, I've been thinking that, getting my own lumber to start the build in the white mountains....

Woody, craigslist has been a Godsend. I used 0% of the wood on my property, that is down, but off the ground, plus I'm helping others.

Eventually.....

Banged out another 4 cords today, 7 hours of skidding, cutting, splitting and loading before the 4"of snow tonight and tomorrow.

WS,
It's hard to tell but in pic #4, the log sticking up in the air looks like it could be cedar? If so, it looks to be straight and a decent size. If it is cedar, you may want to see if you can get PAID. Any mills nearby?

Nice work.

WS,
It's hard to tell but in pic #4, the log sticking up in the air looks like it could be cedar? If so, it looks to be straight and a decent size. If it is cedar, you may want to see if you can get PAID. Any mills nearby?

Blue... I believe you are correct. There is a nice mix of many species. What would a mill pay for something like that roughly?

Blue... I believe you are correct. There is a nice mix of many species. What would a mill pay for something like that roughly?

Good question. I would measure it and give them a call to see. One thing they do Not like is yard trees. They don't like it when they hit metal while milling. Not good. It's definitely worth a phone call IMHO. You might get some cash in your pocket.
Others here do some milling, maybe they can give you a guess on a board foot price.
Good luck.

Good question. I would measure it and give them a call to see. One thing they do Not like is yard trees. They don't like it when they hit metal while milling. Not good. It's definitely worth a phone call IMHO. You might get some cash in your pocket.
Others here do some milling, maybe they can give you a guess on a board foot price.
Good luck.

Thanks man!

Maybe shoot Scotty, Thistle, or smokinjay a PM. I'm pretty sure they do some milling. I'm sure others as well. I think nrford runs a mill.
Good luck

I think it should be a rule that anyone posting their processing accomplishments should also post their birth year. Helps keep things in perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.