Energy Mate wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KWillis

Nov 20, 2022
Richwoods Missouri
I purchased a used Energy Mate wood boiler and can’t seem to find any manual’s or info on it. I plan to make it an OWB out of it to heat a 900 sf mobile home and only know what I have researched from this amazing site. This is not where I plan to retire just have endless amount of fuel and thought it would be better than a stove in the living room and a pipe sticking out the window. I have bought a air handler with 51000 btu electric coil for backup that I think will easily reconfigure to fit my exchanger in. I’m asking for advice on how to set this up without getting complicated and if anyone can help with the manual would be greatly appreciated ?

7F5C9D96-AA6F-489D-BEB9-A0402BBE12B4.jpeg

Do you have any experience at all with hot water heating systems? If not, it could get complicated for you. And expensive. Good underground pipe is around $20/ft, for starters. I'd also be very leery about how solid that old boiler is.

Are you planning on using the electric backup in that air handler? That would be somewhere around 60 amps, on it's own.

Reactions: hobbyheater
No experience but pretty good at figuring things out mechanically and research. It’s going to sit 30’ from the air handler, have been looking at insulated PEX what do you think about wrapping the pipe with foam insulation and then wrapping them together with fiberglass and slipping through 4” pvc and burying My thought is short distance plenty of heater for sf a little loss yes but cost versus loss and maybe3-5 years tops before I’m building my house so this is like a science project. And yes I purchased a down flow handler from a modular home that has the electric coil in it. As far as electric I am going to put in new distribution panel and replace the whole wiring as I replace or add components. I am not an electrician either but helped my dad build my childhood home while growing up.

For a short term unit i would not bury the lines that you describe.They would do OK if they were left above the surface in a good box

Reactions: sloeffle
Don't cheap out on the underground line...it the #1 MISTAKE PEOPLE MAKE WITH OWB'S! (not shouting, just emphasizing)