England Pellet/Stove burner auger stops after running for 30 mins!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cleaned the whole stove out again(behind the metal plates, heat exchange tubes). I do have some areas in the door where the gasket is too compressed. For tonight, I plumped it up for a tighter seal and I'll replace it tomorrow.
Still concerned about that auger. It doesn't seem to make a difference what pellet rate setting it's on. It turns every 4 seconds. This in turn fills the burn pot too rapidly and I have to scoop some out so the pellets won't back-up into the chute.

At least it's somewhat working for tonight. Right now it's 1 degree out and it sickens me to have to rely on the oil burner!
Thanks for the dollar bill trick. Any other advice on this stove?

agrasso68 said:
I cleaned the whole stove out again(behind the metal plates, heat exchange tubes). I do have some areas in the door where the gasket is too compressed. For tonight, I plumped it up for a tighter seal and I'll replace it tomorrow.
Still concerned about that auger. It doesn't seem to make a difference what pellet rate setting it's on. It turns every 4 seconds. This in turn fills the burn pot too rapidly and I have to scoop some out so the pellets won't back-up into the chute.

At least it's somewhat working for tonight. Right now it's 1 degree out and it sickens me to have to rely on the oil burner!
Thanks for the dollar bill trick. Any other advice on this stove?

What are the 3 lower buttons set to?

agrasso68 said:

Whoa. First of all, the last one (Air On Temp) is never supposed to be anything other than 1.

I know it didn't come from the factory set the way you had it, unless you bought the stove used??

And the LBA setting seems high....but that contradicts the problem you're having of the pellets piling up. Normally the pellets pile up when a stove is dirty and has poor airflow through it. Having it set on 7 would seem too high, IMO.

I seem to remember someone saying the 25-ep comes from the factory set at 1-4-1, but don't quote me on that.....I'll have to do a little searching here.

Funny you should say that. After I cleaned the stove, I reset the control board to factory settings. It wasn't 1-4-1 which was the old controlboard factory code. I'm wondering if it has different settings since it's a new board and my stove is 3 years old.

No, I can VERY confidently say that the AOT is supposed to be on 1 ALWAYS.

I'd try setting the board back to what the original board was (1-4-1), and give it a try. Make sure the burn pot is completely empty before re-starting the stove.

BTW, have you gone through the control board diagnostics, just to be sure that it's working correctly? Give this a try while you have the stove shut off to re-set the bottom buttons and empty the burn pot.

www.englanderstoves.com/help/PelletStove/diagnostic_mode04.html

I reset the board but tweaked it to 1-8-1. I had changed this originally when I spoke with a tech. He didn't feel there was enough air flow to the burn pot.

So, when I went and bought the gasket today, I saw a bottle of liquid gel used to start fires. It had directions for pellet stoves. I also noticed on the hopper lid it said that if you have a problem, place a handful of pellets in the hopper, light them, and as soon as they are lit, put the hopper lid down.

I tried this and I have to say the stove has been lit for 6 hours and I haven't had tonclear out the burn pot yet. Generally, by this time, I would have had to clean it 2-3 times. It seems as though the initial pellets falling during start up were not burning fast enough, or running hot enough, so they would begin to pile up in the burn pot. All I can say is I'm not asking questions! It's working much better now and I'm not complaining.

agrasso68 said:
I reset the board but tweaked it to 1-8-1. I had changed this originally when I spoke with a tech. He didn't feel there was enough air flow to the burn pot.

So, when I went and bought the gasket today, I saw a bottle of liquid gel used to start fires. It had directions for pellet stoves. I also noticed on the hopper lid it said that if you have a problem, place a handful of pellets in the hopper, light them, and as soon as they are lit, put the hopper lid down.

I tried this and I have to say the stove has been lit for 6 hours and I haven't had tonclear out the burn pot yet. Generally, by this time, I would have had to clean it 2-3 times. It seems as though the initial pellets falling during start up were not burning fast enough, or running hot enough, so they would begin to pile up in the burn pot. All I can say is I'm not asking questions! It's working much better now and I'm not complaining.
I am not so sure I would light the pellets in the hopper on fire but you will get plenty of heat. :ahhh:

agrasso68 said:

Although I'm glad that it seems to be burning better now, unfortunately now you have no idea what the original problem is....is it during start-up (ignitor problem), or was it the change in lower button settings (not enough airflow)?

You still should still try starting the stove using the ignitor and see what happens.

BTW, the LBA set at 8 is VERY high....you're sending a lot of heat right up the exhaust. Try lowering it a little bit (1 number) at a time until you start having burn problems again, and then put it back up 1 number. The slower you can run the air through the stove, and still have a good burn, allows the heat exchanger to pull more heat from the stove and into your home.

A lot of times that lack of air flow to the burn pot can actually be too much venting or bad seals (gaskets).

Just tossing a few more things out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.