Englander 10-CPM Pellet Feed Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Litzner

Aug 31, 2015
Michigan
I am having problems with a 10-CPM stove, it just stops feeding pellets at random. I have shorted the hopper open switch cables together to take that out of the equation. I pulled the pellet feed auger and ran a round file up and down the inside of the feed tube in an attempt to clean it out, as it does squeak from time to time when feeding pellets. When this problem occurs I often get it to start feeding pellets again by power cycling the stove, hitting the on button, and I have had success simply disconnecting one of the headers to the feed auger and reconnecting it. Does this sound like I am in need of a new feed auger motor?

Maybe some will chime in here , 1) when was it fully cleaned and 2) have you checked the vacuum switch hose .3) bypass the vacuum switch by connecting the wires together, 4) if you suspect the auger motor is bad, check to see if it's getting voltage with a volt meter, if it is, then shut it down, 5) unplug it and apply 120V directly to the auger motor.

1 make sure the set screw on the coupler,on the auger moter,has not come loose,and is intermittently slipping. But, it does sound like weak motor,and is overheating,shutting down.Next time it happens,if you are around,see if motor is very hot.But,those motors are not expensive,I would just replace it.unless is a new stove.

1 make sure the set screw on the coupler,on the auger moter,has not come loose,and is intermittently slipping. But, it does sound like weak motor,and is overheating,shutting down.Next time it happens,if you are around,see if motor is very hot.But,those motors are not expensive,I would just replace it.unless is a new stove.

The motor is not hot, just warm from the ambient heat from the stove. I think you are talking about the screws that hold the auger in place that are on each side of the auger's tube? Those are tight.

Maybe some will chime in here , 1) when was it fully cleaned and 2) have you checked the vacuum switch hose .3) bypass the vacuum switch by connecting the wires together, 4) if you suspect the auger motor is bad, check to see if it's getting voltage with a volt meter, if it is, then shut it down, 5) unplug it and apply 120V directly to the auger motor.

I fully cleaned it earlier this week, including the auger tube. Where and what is the vaccum switch? I have not checked it. I will try to look some documentation up on it.

No,the screw that holds the coupler to the shaft of the motor.usually allen headed.They can come loose,slip for a bit,then grab and work for a bit.I did not mention the vac switch because unplugging the wire and plugging back in would not make it run,again.BUT,is always good maintenance to clean the switch,clean the hose going to it(they get soot inside) and clean the nipple where the other end of the hose hooks to stove.I think it is on the right side of your stove,looks like this--_

No,the screw that holds the coupler to the shaft of the motor.usually allen headed.They can come loose,slip for a bit,then grab and work for a bit.I did not mention the vac switch because unplugging the wire and plugging back in would not make it run,again.BUT,is always good maintenance to clean the switch,clean the hose going to it(they get soot inside) and clean the nipple where the other end of the hose hooks to stove.I think it is on the right side of your stove,looks like this--_

Can I test the vacuum switch as an issue by taking it out? I mean by shorting the wires that are running to it togehter and taking the vacuum switch out of the equation completely?

Thank you very much for your help. I will test it out. I did just run a pipe cleaner through the vacuum switch hole. I can't believe I hadn't notice it before. The stove is running now, and if it continues to have problems I will take the vacuum switch out of the equation and test it again to see if I need to order a new one.

Easiest cleaning method is use a crevice tool on your vacuum (when you clean the stove) and suck that nipple clean. Only takes a second. I do that every time I clean mine which is after every plastic trash can full of pellet / corn mix.

And check the vacuum hose thoroughly for cracks

Reactions: Ssyko