englander 13 and chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

perry

Burning Hunk
Feb 14, 2008
auburn hills, michigan
i have a englander 13nc and i was just wondering how often guys clean your chimneys and what is the best way.
when i clean my chimney i go up on the roof and use chimney brush with fiberglass extention poles. it cleans fairly good and easy. all the powder residue falls down onto the fire board inside the stove. i then take out the screws of at the middle section of my sliding/adjustable extension black pipe. vacuum out the pile of soot out of the stove and then proceed to TRY and put the black sliding black pipe back where it was. ya right, good luck. i can never find the original screw holes. everytime i clean the chimney its a nightmare having to take apart the black extention pipe just to get the small pile of soot off the fire board in the stove. its getting toomany new self taping screw holes in my black pipe. is there a better way ?, can i just leave the hundfull of soot in the stove top after i clean the chimney ?. and is the powder staglitle looking stuff in the chimney dangerouse. i clean the pipe whenever the pipe starts getting the power staglite look to it on the inside. ALSO. whats ther best way to clean the chimney when the roof is covered with snow ?. i cant get up there.

Remove the secondary air tubes in the top of the firebox and the ceramic baffle before sweeping the chimney and they the stuff drops straight down into the firebox instead of piling up on the baffle.

Page 16 of the user's manual for instruction on removing the tubes and baffle.

thanks brotherbart. never even thought of pulling the stove apart. how hard is it. ???
ill be reading the manual and give'in it a sweep today. my roofing buddy is coming over today to hang out in the work shop. little does he know im sending him up on the roof with the chimney brush ...LOL. with my bad legs i dont do ladders very well. once im on the roof its not bad, its just rough getting off the roof stepping back down on the ladder.
and the roof is snow covered.

perry in mi said:
never even thought of pulling the stove apart. how hard is it. ???

Just remove the front and middle tubes (one screw each..on the left side) and slide the baffle out. Pretty easy
IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.