Englander 13-NC Owners - Your Experiences Please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter B.

Feeling the Heat
Feb 27, 2008
SW Wisconsin
I'm considering finally replacing my old parlor stove with an EPA model, and though I had my heart set on a different stove, practicality ($$$) suggests I take a close look at the Englander 13.

I'm wondering the usual things...

Does the heat output seem adequate for your needs?

How long are typical burn times on a full load (coals to coals)?

Does the window glass stay clean (with dry wood)?

Have you had problems with specific parts or stove operation?

Overall, are you pleased with your 13? Would you buy another?

Locally, the 13 is on sale for $549. at a farm and barn store. Does the price seem about right?

Anyone know if the bright trim can be readily removed?

Finally, a very subjective question: does the secondary burn make for a modest/good/spectacular show?

Thanks for any/all replies.

Peter B.

-----

Locally, the 13 is on sale for $549. at a farm and barn store. Does the price seem about right?

Finally, a very subjective question: does the secondary burn make for a modest/good/spectacular show?

Very adequate for our needs, has gotten to ten below Fahrenheit and we are warm. House is approx 1200sq.ft. and 6" insulated walls, modular three bedroom two bath home with open living/dining/kitchen layout.

Coals to coals with dry pine approx. 4+hrs

Window glass stays very clean, have cleaned only every two weeks, burning 24/7, but we like the view a lot, it only fogs a little, and if a piece gets too close or falls onto glass overnite it will leave a stain, but it cleans up with a hot burn the next day.

Only problem was front most secondary air tube fell out at unfastened end, called Englander and told to put washers under tab at other end to put tube further into hole on rt. side, problem solved no big deal.

Love the stove, very frugal with wood, burns longer than expected for a pine fueled stove. Your price is over two hundred dollars less than what we paid, the trim comes off of the top plate and the lip under the door easily, have not tried the trim around the door.

Can't rate the "show" but we both like it when it starts, never seen one before and the pics on the forum don't show how pretty it is, at least for my eyes. I'll rate it at pretty good, not knowing what spectacular would be.
Hope that helps.

depemds on what yo ucall burn times but id say 6 hours from coals to coals on hardwood but heats good for around 8 id say
good on wood and throws alot for heat ..easily a 1500 insulated open space. good quality for the money ,window stays clean better than alot of other stoves ive seen and fire show is nice on high setting

WASAJCO:

That's exactly the sort of straightforward response I was hoping for... thanks very much.

Hoping for more such replies from others as well.

Peter B.

--

Edit: Whoops... slow off the mark here... thanks to you also lexybird.

-----

I don't have a 13, but I have it's big brother the 30.

I can't answer your questions about the 13 specifically, but I can say that I have been very happy with the Englander product. Build quality is very good, and their service/support folks are great.

Originally, I had my eye on a Quadrafire 3100, but there was no way I was going to afford one. I stumbled across my 30, brand new, on Craigslist, for $550. It was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Knowing what I know now, I would buy an Englander stove again in a heartbeat. The value is hard to beat.

-SF

Peter B. said:
I'm considering finally replacing my old parlor stove with an EPA model, and though I had my heart set on a different stove, practicality ($$$) suggests I take a close look at the Englander 13.

I'm wondering the usual things...

Yes, heating a little under 1200 sq ft.

coal to coal I can get 8hrs but I modified the air intake.

extremely clean
Yes, my front tube fell out too but it was easily fixed with a washer.

Yeah that's a good price. I paid $799 three years ago.
yes

Great show....especially with softwood.Thanks for any/all replies.

Peter B.

-----

Answers to your specific questions below, but a quick note: the NC-13 is a steal, in my opinion, for a heater. What I mean is that it heats like an animal, but I found it very hard to keep it level--because it is steel, it heats up and cools down quickly which means it needed more attention than our new stove. That being said, it heats like all get out and saved our butts a few nights we lost electricity!

Does the heat output seem adequate for your needs? Yes--1K square feet basement plus 1,200 upstairs--kept basement at 70 and upstairs at 65 or so.

How long are typical burn times on a full load (coals to coals)? Heating house up: 3 hours, maintaining temp, 6. I never got a solid burn (productive) more than 6 using any wood (oak, maple, birch).

Does the window glass stay clean (with dry wood)? Yes--I almost never even got a haze.

Have you had problems with specific parts or stove operation? Perfect operation. Literally perfect--two winters.

Overall, are you pleased with your 13? Would you buy another? Sort-of. Now that I've had the pleasure of using soapstone, I probably wouldn't buy anything else.

Locally, the 13 is on sale for $549. at a farm and barn store. Does the price seem about right? Without a doubt--no matter what you buy, it'll be triple for similar performance.

Anyone know if the bright trim can be readily removed? Yes--they're all add-on pieces.

Finally, a very subjective question: does the secondary burn make for a modest/good/spectacular show? Looks good for a fairly short time--couple hours at most out of mine.

Thanks to all for your replies... very helpful and to the point.

It's now clear I can take the 13 'seriously', but it suddenly occurred to me last night that changing horses in the middle of January (in Wisconsin) might not be the wisest idea... plus, I would have to round up a crew and a truck, and...

I have to admit though, it's pretty tempting. Despite my best efforts to tame it, the Round Oak still eats what seems like a lot of fuel, and in 30+ years of use, I've never been able to pull up a chair and watch the fire... which is beginning to seem all important.

The sale ends 1/10/10... tune in next week.

Peter B.

-----

Peter B. said:
Thanks to all for your replies... very helpful and to the point.

It's now clear I can take the 13 'seriously', but it suddenly occurred to me last night that changing horses in the middle of January (in Wisconsin) might not be the wisest idea... plus, I would have to round up a crew and a truck, and...

I have to admit though, it's pretty tempting. Despite my best efforts to tame it, the Round Oak still eats what seems like a lot of fuel, and in 30+ years of use, I've never been able to pull up a chair and watch the fire... which is beginning to seem all important.

The sale ends 1/10/10... tune in next week.

Peter B.

-----

Buy now, install later.

I agree, installing in the dead of winter may not be the greatest time to put in a stove. Will you need a new liner/connecting pipe? Being an old parlor stove I wouldn't be surprised if you are currently running 8" pipe?

BrowningBAR said:
Buy now, install later.

I agree, installing in the dead of winter may not be the greatest time to put in a stove. Will you need a new liner/connecting pipe? Being an old parlor stove I wouldn't be surprised if you are currently running 8" pipe?

I should only need a new 3' section of 6" black pipe for a quick and dirty install. Ideally, with help to move and place the two stoves, it could all be done in a heartbeat or two.

It's the Murphy aspects that give me pause... in single digit weather... with no other 'honest' heat source.

And I'm not one that often rushes into decisions... I'll need a couple/few days to mull it all over... and verify that the farm & barn actually has one in stock... and might hold it for me for a while, if need be.

Peter B.

-----

I have the Summer's Heat version of this stove. I'm not having good luck with mine. I think it's the fuel. I'm burning Ecobrix. I'm trying to get other opinions from a post I made about this. I think I'm going to buy four bundles of fire wood and see how that works out. If you do get one, use seasoned firewood not bio fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.