Englander 24-IC questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cberst26

Dec 3, 2011
SE Ohio
I'm somewhat a newbie. Installed 2 Englanders in 2 previous homes with no issues. Now, I recently purchased this 24-IC to be installed in my 12 year old home. I have no manuals with this unit. This unit has an 8" opening for venting. Is it an atrocious idea to reduce this down to 6"? I've seen in other threads that a 14' flue is the minimum. Is that correct? This install will require starting anew. There are no openings or an existing flue. I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thank you, but everything that I've read makes sure that you know that the 24_IC is NOT the 24-ICD. I'm not exactly sure what to do. We also have an unfinished basement that we were first going to install the burner. My brother-in-law suggested that we actually put in the living room, to get the most use out of the heat that it will produce. That install will also save some coin on the vent pipe that I will need. Any input from you all is greatly appreciated.

Call Englander support on Monday.

short answer, if you have no flue setup yet , go with 8 inch flue instead of the 6. im not thinking a 6 inch will pull it unless its and extermely strong pulling flue. since you mentioned you do not have chimney already there , go with 8 inch!
the ICD by the way is not the same but its the closest i have a PDF of the manual available for. the hull is virtually the same , only difference is it was "jetted" for a 6 inch flue not an 8 and the draft control is below the ash drawer to facilitate an OAK hookup while the IC has direct draft control above the door. other than the collar and the blank on the flue opening, virtually all the replacement parts listed in the ICD manual are the same for the IC

Ok. Thanks. So I'm getting that I should vent it in 8". I was hoping that I could use 6", as it is more redily available. Is there any truth to a minimum of 14' height? I appreciate the help that I've gotten so far. I'm sure that if I ever get this ball rolling, I'll be asking for more. You guys seem great. Any more input and opinions are so very welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.