Englander 25-PAH refurbished with serious issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LukeSD

Nov 18, 2018
South Dakota
So I have this stove and replaced it this year with a Pelpro PP130. Its always had issues that have progressively gotten worse. It has 9 heat settings but I've never been able to run it above 4. It doesn't burn fast enough and the fire box over flows. So I've been using it on 2 when the temp is above 32 outside and on 4 below zero. Its gets to -10 and I need supplemental heat. End of last winter it got to the point the firebox would overflow in 8 hours. So I decided to try to super charge it and see if increased airflow would help it any. Removed the air intake and stuffed a dollar store hair dryer into the intake. Sparks shot out the front out through the room blower vent and back at me standing behind the stove into the component compartment.

This summer I tore it apart and did every recommended maintenance regardless of time frame and it did absolutely nothing to help. Exact same 8 hour overflow when I was done. So I decided I needed a new stove and grabbed a Pelpro PP130 and have had zero issues with it so far.

Today I decided to pull the hopper off this Englander thinking I would be able to see were the missing seal is between the firebox and the room blower that let the sparks get into. Its off but there is another welded piece of metal between the hopper and the room blower area. Welded in small spots then sealed haphazardly with sealant. There is one large gap in a corner which may be were the sparks came from that shot back at me but doesn't explain sparks getting from the firebox into the blower vent coming out the front of the stove.

My basic thought is that this stove can't possibly be sealed correctly and will never burn as intended as is. The only idea I have currently is to track down some smoke bombs and plug the exhaust, intake, and pellet drop to see where the smoke comes out at. I'm new here but I'm curious if anyone has another idea?

Englander has done their best to completely avoid addressing my issues the last 4 years.

Attachments

• 20181118_160918.jpg
    20181118_160918.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 127
If you find the leak, a simple fix with some high temp silicone and its back in service or sale