Englander 25-PDV 2003 unit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jra146psu

Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2008
Harborcreek, PA
I just wanted to know if everything is working as it should or if I might have a problem or 2 with my unit:
To start off with the basics, I have an Englander 25-PDV manu in Sept of 2003. It was given to me as a housewarming gift and has previously been used. This is my first pellet stove. I use only Premiun hardwood low ash pellets. Air Intake is 2" pipe that has (1) 90 at the back and extends about 1' under my house to a crawl space with screen attached. Exhaust is 3" double lined pipe that goes out to an immediate 90 and up to 2' above roof. I'm sure there isn't a problem with intake, nor exhaust blockages (both of those have been vacuumed out and screen is clean). I clean out the entire burn pot, wear plate, and behind the impingment plate after each bag or when the stove is cooled down.

I've installed the stove and have used it for about 4 weeks now and have a few questions on the operation. I've searched online and the Englander website (also sent an email and tried phone calls, but put on hold for over half hour each time I call Englander and no response to email in over 2 weeks) and haven't been able to find any specific answers to the questions below.

1) Should I be able to operate the Heat and Blower setting independently? Currently the blower settings can only be controlled by the Heat settings and can only be the same settings. How do I change them independently? Are there any advantages to changing indepently?

2) When I start the stove, I set it at Level 5 for about an hour or until the blower turns on and is blowing out warm heat. I have tried turning it down to Level 1 or 2 and when I do, the fire goes out after a while and then smokes, then relights (most of the time). On level 1 it goes out and usually won't reignite. On Level 2 it relights, but smokes and blows out some cold air until the flames start. It blows out some cold air, then warmer once the flames begin, then cold air as the flames extinguish. Is this how it should work? The front glass turns black when it's on either of those settings also. One night the stove went out altogether when on Level 1. I thought it may have run out of pellets, but can only assume that the pellets did not feed in quick enough before the fire went out and could not reignite. I normally run it on level 5, then turn down to level 1 after about an hour or 2, then back to level 5 when it starts to smoke inside the stove to feed more pellets (usually every 1/2 hour or so)

3) The first couple times I ran the stove, it ran for about 30 minutes, then shut off with an E code. I would try to turn back on, but would kick right back off. I let it cool and turned on and the same happened again. I let cool and started a 3rd time and never got the E code again.

4) One night a week later I let it run out of pellets. The stove shut down normally and cooled, except the lower auger kept turning for well over 2 hours, even after the stove was completely cooled down. I had to unplug the unit to get the lower auger to stop turning. I plugged it back in and everything has been fine since, shutting down normally and the lower auger stops when the entire stove cools.

5) There is a high-pitched screeching every so often intermittently that comes from the stove that has been present since day 1. I believe that is one of the augers scraping. Is that also normal? Should I remove the auger to clean or grease?

6) My house is only about 600 sq ft ( 1level) and set at level 2, maintains a temp of about 63 degrees, which I've been told should be warmer for the sq footage at level 2. Burns about 1 bag per day. When I crank it up to Level 5, my house gets toasty quick, but burns pellets like crazy, about 1 bag per 8 hours.

7) When I start the stove after lighting the pellets, the burn pot blows air out the right side holes, but nothing out the left side holes. The right side stays clear of ash, but the left side builds up with ash and doesn't seem to feed any air to the burn area. Is that normal? Could something be blocked on the left side? Should I remove the burn pot and clean out entirely and if so, I read that I need to replace the burn pot gasket at the back once removed?

I hope I explained this enough for some answers. Is there anything that I could be doing wrong with the startup or operation? I love my new pellet stove and is so much better than my other ventless wall propane heater that is only used as my backup now. Colder weather is coming (I live in Erie, PA) and I'd like to know that I can leave my stove on all day and come home to a warm house without the stove turning off when set on Level 1 setting.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

jra146psu said:
I just wanted to know if everything is working as it should or if I might have a problem or 2 with my unit:
To start off with the basics, I have an Englander 25-PDV manu in Sept of 2003. It was given to me as a housewarming gift and has previously been used. This is my first pellet stove. I use only Premiun hardwood low ash pellets. Air Intake is 2" pipe that has (1) 90 at the back and extends about 1' under my house to a crawl space with screen attached. Exhaust is 3" double lined pipe that goes out to an immediate 90 and up to 2' above roof. I'm sure there isn't a problem with intake, nor exhaust blockages (both of those have been vacuumed out and screen is clean). I clean out the entire burn pot, wear plate, and behind the impingment plate after each bag or when the stove is cooled down.

I've installed the stove and have used it for about 4 weeks now and have a few questions on the operation. I've searched online and the Englander website (also sent an email and tried phone calls, but put on hold for over half hour each time I call Englander and no response to email in over 2 weeks) and haven't been able to find any specific answers to the questions below.

1) Should I be able to operate the Heat and Blower setting independently? Currently the blower settings can only be controlled by the Heat settings and can only be the same settings. How do I change them independently? Are there any advantages to changing indepently?

You should be able to operate the blower equal to or higher than the heat setting, but not lower. Operating on the higher blower setting will move the heat around better. I haven't run mine any higher than 5

2) When I start the stove, I set it at Level 5 for about an hour or until the blower turns on and is blowing out warm heat. I have tried turning it down to Level 1 or 2 and when I do, the fire goes out after a while and then smokes, then relights (most of the time). On level 1 it goes out and usually won't reignite. On Level 2 it relights, but smokes and blows out some cold air until the flames start. It blows out some cold air, then warmer once the flames begin, then cold air as the flames extinguish. Is this how it should work? The front glass turns black when it's on either of those settings also. One night the stove went out altogether when on Level 1. I thought it may have run out of pellets, but can only assume that the pellets did not feed in quick enough before the fire went out and could not reignite. I normally run it on level 5, then turn down to level 1 after about an hour or 2, then back to level 5 when it starts to smoke inside the stove to feed more pellets (usually every 1/2 hour or so)

sounds like you need to adjust your Low fuel feed and low burn air. try increasing both 1 or 2 levels up.

3) The first couple times I ran the stove, it ran for about 30 minutes, then shut off with an E code. I would try to turn back on, but would kick right back off. I let it cool and turned on and the same happened again. I let cool and started a 3rd time and never got the E code again.

probably for the same reason as #2

4) One night a week later I let it run out of pellets. The stove shut down normally and cooled, except the lower auger kept turning for well over 2 hours, even after the stove was completely cooled down. I had to unplug the unit to get the lower auger to stop turning. I plugged it back in and everything has been fine since, shutting down normally and the lower auger stops when the entire stove cools.

5) There is a high-pitched screeching every so often intermittently that comes from the stove that has been present since day 1. I believe that is one of the augers scraping. Is that also normal? Should I remove the auger to clean or grease?

I would suggest cleaning the carbon build-up from the und of the lower auger tube with a flat tipped screwdriver. you need to really scrape pretty hard. i do this once a week, or whenever I notice the sound

6) My house is only about 600 sq ft ( 1level) and set at level 2, maintains a temp of about 63 degrees, which I've been told should be warmer for the sq footage at level 2. Burns about 1 bag per day. When I crank it up to Level 5, my house gets toasty quick, but burns pellets like crazy, about 1 bag per 8 hours.

Only 600 sf? you should be able to heat this space no problem on setting 1. is your house excessively drafty? how about insulation? is the floor plan closed off with many rooms? try using a floor fan set on low to blow TOWARD the stove

7) When I start the stove after lighting the pellets, the burn pot blows air out the right side holes, but nothing out the left side holes. The right side stays clear of ash, but the left side builds up with ash and doesn't seem to feed any air to the burn area. Is that normal? Could something be blocked on the left side? Should I remove the burn pot and clean out entirely and if so, I read that I need to replace the burn pot gasket at the back once removed?

Try cleaning thoroughly. maybe a good vac'ing is all that is needed. yes you need to replace the gasket once removed.

I hope I explained this enough for some answers. Is there anything that I could be doing wrong with the startup or operation? I love my new pellet stove and is so much better than my other ventless wall propane heater that is only used as my backup now. Colder weather is coming (I live in Erie, PA) and I'd like to know that I can leave my stove on all day and come home to a warm house without the stove turning off when set on Level 1 setting.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

see my answers in bold above. Literally a houseWARMING gift!

Thanks for the info. Yes, I believe it actually is the best houseWARMING gift ever! I think the main problem was that my settings were set at 1 - 1 - 1. I changed them to 5 - 5 - 1. It now runs on level 1 without going out. The manual doesn't say anything about these settings, except to NEVER touch them. I really think Englander needs to add a complete section on these settings as you HAVE to change these settings or else you will run into problems. Now I know what the settings do, I'll continue to tweak.

I still can't change the blower independently of the heat range. Maybe a wire got disconnected in transport? I can change the LFF, LBA and TOS with the blower buttons, so I know there isn't a loose connection. Maybe my control board got fried? I'll tear into it more this weekend. I guess I really don't need to change the blower speed independently, but just trying different things to tweak and make more efficient. I also think if I increased the blower, the heat would disperse more throughout my house. The stove is in the family room, which leads into bedroom and kitchen / dining. There is a crawl space under my house and the floors do get cold, but the walls and ceiling are well insulated. The floors will be insulated next spring / summer when I install all new floors and add an addition to my house.

I should also tell you the factory defaults for the LFF, LBA, OAT, are usually 6-4-1, respectively. Mike From Englander may tell you otherwise, because yours is an older model. But that is a good starting point.

Before you go crazy making changes to your settings, the stoves made before 2004 are a little different. Definitely get in touch with Englander for your stoves defaults.

I've tried contacting Englander support, but sit on hold forever. I've emailed them several times over the past 3 weeks and haven't received a response. I guess this is the time of year they get backed up with everybody having problems starting them back up after sitting all summer? That said, I've decided to start troubleshooting myself.

Anybody else have an '03 25-PDV? What settings do you run? It seems like the previous owner inadvertently set them to 1 - 1 - 1 or maybe my board got zapped and reset to those? After I changed the settings to 5 - 5 - 1, it runs great. I will play with them this weekend. I just wish the manual would have told you what the default settings are and what happens when you change each. Seems like everybody needs to call them all the time to tweak.

Just a stupid question (I know no such thing exists, only stupid people), that probably deserves a stupid answer, but.... Is there a heat exchanger to remove and clean on these units? Is cleaning the area behind the impingement plate enough? There is an 1/8 inch gap behind the impingement plate in the rectangular hole and would think that some ash / carbon buildup could form back in there.

Just trying to get this running the best it can. So far so good though learning the stove. Just have to keep playing with the settings that the Manual tells you NEVER to touch... if I hadn't played with these settings, I'd be relighting every couple hours to keep running and burning many more pellets at less heat output. Also need to adjust settings depending on what pellets I use. The PrestoLogs burn HOT and very little ash on nearly any settings I try. Also have a few bags of Pro Pellets that I wanted to try... burn cool and produce ALOT of ash, clinkers and carbon deposits on the auger feed tube that need scraped every other day, until I adjust the settings then they burn luke warm with same ash, clinker and carbon buildup.

Anybody else running the 25-PDV? I haven't seen any other of these running to know if my stove is running normal or not. Still can't change my heat and blower individually. Is there an instructional video that shows you the startup, cleaning and optimizing of these units. Anyone feel like making one? The 'Reverse Engineered' video is nice and all, but only shows you basic stuff to replace parts. It would be nice if a little better video was made to also show normal operation, abnormal operation, daily cleaning, weekly cleaning, monthly cleaning and yearly cleaning. Anybody at Englander want to hire and train me to travel around getting everyone's stoves running at peak performance. This would be a job that wouldn't be necessary if the video showed all of this. It could be a full time job for people that don't want to do it themselves. I thought the video supplied would address all of these issues, but after watching, all I learned was how to "Reverse Engineer", which I assume is the made up term for 'put back the same way you took out', and thought I just watched the first part of a 5 part mini-series. Maybe I got a bunk video?

I love the stove and just trying to get some other users input, while also letting Englander know ways to improve cust satisfaction. I believe a video like I mentioned above would really help out many people and highly reduce phone support calls.

Curiously I checked wikipedia and think it fits perfectly with the video:
Reasons for reverse-engineering:

* Lost documentation: Reverse engineering often is done because the documentation of a particular device has been lost (or was never written), and the person who built it is no longer available.

Status
Not open for further replies.