Englander 25-PDV Settings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

southpaw78

Nov 22, 2023
Baltimore, MD
My stove is a 2004, I just got it and am playing with the advanced settings trying to get it dialed in. I’ve noticed some black smoke coming out of the exhaust and I know it should be burning clear.

I called Endglands and they said the factory settings were 6-9-1 in “C” mode. I’ve seen some people on here saying the factory settings were 6-4-1.

Honestly I don’t know what any of them mean. I have run wood stoves most of my life and I know they typically run different from one to another even if they are the same exact model. I’m just trying to figure out what I need to look for, examine or gauge to determine what settings I need to be on.

Any help you can provide would be great, thank you.

2004... Do you have the newer control board? I'm running mine on 6-4-1 (might be slightly tweaked, I'm not home to check) but 6-9-1 seems WAY high. These things like to be CLEAN. How thoroughly have you cleaned it?

Eric

@ericofmaine
I have just joined this most excellent forum, I have a 25-PDV, 55-SHP22,55-TRP22, built in 7/2009 and purchased in 12/2009.
Is there an easy way to figure out if it has the "newer" style control board you mention?
I have been chasing an issue getting mine to urn cleaner and stop generating an E3 over temp error.

-BobC

Is there an easy way to figure out if it has the "newer" style control board you mention?
Oldest board had knobs on front. Second generation and newest third have buttons on front and look the same, you can easily tell difference from the back

old PU-CB98 on left and new PU-CB04 on right

1706653253429.jpeg

To add to what ARC said, a stove from '09 (mine is as well) will have the newer style board. The swap was done, IIRC, in '04.

Eric

Reactions: eicbob and ARC
I did the modification to my burn pot as suggested somewhere here on the forum. I get more heat but more buildup on the glass as well. Given the choice, I'll take the heat.

Eric

Reactions: ARC
On a similar tack, while I was cleaning the stove, I came across the vacuum hose going to the combustion vacuum sensor was all dried and cracked. Replaced that and moved on to finish cleaning. Been running ok since.
Have been smelling more of a burning wood odor as the stove cycles. Noticed this evening, that the hose for the door vacuum switch is really crusty. I have read that if that sensor has issues there will not be a code set.
I am wondering 2 things…
First, how will that affect the burn and second would it be possible for smoke from the burn area escape into the room from that cracked hose.
I have shut the stove down tonight to let it cool and will pop that side trim off and effect a repair to the hose.

-BobC

I suppose it might. I've had my stove since '09 and only ever had an issue with the hose coming from the combustion motor. Cut off about an inch and reconnected and been chugging along ever since.

Eric

Reactions: eicbob and ARC
@ericofmaine
Looks like I am using an incorrect term, I had the vacuum line issue on both the combustion blower vacuum switch and the door ajar vacuum switch.
This weekend I took off both the front grills, snipped off the crusty line to the door ajar vacuum switch and reconnected.
While I was in that part of the stove, I noticed that the silicone sealer around the fire box to the stove frame had pulled away in about 60% of the seam.
Got some high temp fire stop sealer and resealed the seams on both sides of the fire box.
Seems to have improved the performance a bit.
Still am getting a sooted up door glass on an over night run, but the smoke odor is noticeably less after resealing the fire box.
Slowly making progress!

-BobC

Reactions: ARC
englanders are notorious for dirty windows/glass. they also are very picky on being kept clean.