Englander 25-pdv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Docky39

Jan 6, 2022
Pa
Hi I've had an Englander for about two seasons and every year it seems like I have to re dial and go through 10 bags to figure how she's gonna run this year. I just got done ready all Mike of Englander interactions and advice and I still have problems. My current problems are as followed:
Can't get/keep consistent flame.
Pellet consumption up compared to heat output
Overflowing firepot
:
I wake up and the burn pot is pouring over but just ash and at the bottom it's hard solidified ash.
My current settings are heat range 3-4, Air blower 9
I just put my lower 3 buttons back to 6,4,1 but have spent the past two seasons clawing through varies lower 3 settings. Included is a picture of my flame. Any advise would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2001.MOV
    4.1 MB
That flame looks pretty lazy to me. I suspect you have an air leak somewhere or perhaps your combustion motor is dirty or weak. Have you tried the dollar bill test? When was the last time you cleaned it, THOROUGHLY? The leaf blower trick does wonders on helping keep it clean.

Eric

That flame looks pretty lazy to me. I suspect you have an air leak somewhere or perhaps your combustion motor is dirty or weak. Have you tried the dollar bill test? When was the last time you cleaned it, THOROUGHLY? The leaf blower trick does wonders on helping keep it clean.

Eric
Last year is when I used the leaf blower to clean out the entire unit before I put it in my basement. I have no tried the dollar bill test and quite frankly I forget what it is lol. But I will check the motors in the back. When I put it 3 and below the pellets seem to burn to complete ash but still in the burn pot.

So this was after 8 hours of a burn. All seals are good and check. My top settings were 3 & 9. My bottom three settings where

Anyway I could have this burning better or more efficiently to not have such a build up?

Eric

5B0BD123-A9A6-4646-AB93-D3515941408E.jpeg

That still looks pretty lazy. When was the last time you cleaned the stove? When I say clean, I mean thoroughly. I have the same stove and I can go days and not get that much buildup. I use the leaf blower trick at least 3 times a year (about after every ton). I also did the burn pot mod. The last thing I can think of is what are you burning for pellets? I know the stove says hardwood only, but it really likes a blend or straight softwood better.

Eric

That still looks pretty lazy. When was the last time you cleaned the stove? When I say clean, I mean thoroughly. I have the same stove and I can go days and not get that much buildup. I use the leaf blower trick at least 3 times a year (about after every ton). I also did the burn pot mod. The last thing I can think of is what are you burning for pellets? I know the stove says hardwood only, but it really likes a blend or straight softwood better.

Eric
I run dry creek wood pellets through it. I don't leaf blower mine after every ton because it's in my finished basement. I do tho fine tooth brush clean it after every 2 days usually 3-4 bags of pellets. Just now I'm home and checked it and with it running 3,9 and 5,7,1 I had just as much build up.

What is the burn pot mod?

Thank you very much for all the information tho!

The leaf blower goes on the exhaust. You need one that can operate as a vacuum, too. Do a search here to see it in action. It really helps deep clean the innards of the stove. Cleaning just the inside as you describe isn't going to cut it.

The burn pot mod is near the bottom of page 1 of this post: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-25-pvcd-need-help-please.180451/

Also, have you blocked off the two holes on the side of the burn pt area? That seems to help some, too. I just stuffed some steel wool in there but others have used electrical caps.

Eric

The leaf blower goes on the exhaust. You need one that can operate as a vacuum, too. Do a search here to see it in action. It really helps deep clean the innards of the stove. Cleaning just the inside as you describe isn't going to cut it.

The burn pot mod is near the bottom of page 1 of this post: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-25-pvcd-need-help-please.180451/

Also, have you blocked off the two holes on the side of the burn pt area? That seems to help some, too. I just stuffed some steel wool in there but others have used electrical caps.

Eric
Copy. So do you pull the stove off of the vent and blow straight through or just stick it straight in the stove. I was doing some reading about the steel wool method. I assume you stick in the bottom two holes below the burn pot correct?

Above or below, doesn't matter really, just trying to block the holes. As for the Leaf blower, watch this:

Eric

Reactions: Docky39
Above or below, doesn't matter really, just trying to block the holes. As for the Leaf blower, watch this:

Eric

quick question here uh since i cannot watch the video at my work. i take it you suck it out with the leaf blower. Would i be able to blow through the stove out my exhaust pipe to have the same effect

If you blow through, you’ll completely cover the inside of your house with ash….it’s happened to a few here by accident

Reactions: ericofmaine
Yup that flame looks weak as stated above...I'll chime in here and say clean both pipe and stove, if you can attach the blower like the video.. It can make a mess outside so beware..Be sure you get any hidden passages in the stove exhaust path

Maybe obvious to some but you suck out the stove and chimney
together and attach the leaf blower so it sucks out at the chimney termination
point (outside of the house) Open the door on the stove important

Thanks guys have to go get a leaf blower that has the suction lol. Will update tomorrow after I do the LBT and plug the holes with a plate mod.

Once again I appreciate it alot!

Update here everyone:

Today I did he LBT with the stove and surprisingly it wasn't as dirty and some of these youtube videos post. I ended up blocking off both bottom holes and the holes in the burn plate with #00 steel wool. Seemed to be running cleaner but will update after the 8 hour mark.

So here is after 8 hours. The setting 2,9 lower 3 settings are 4,4,1. Doesn't keep a constant flame tho but seems ash is better and heat output better.

2C527D0F-F70C-457E-B084-2C01A502BE01.jpeg

Reactions: ericofmaine
Sorry for the late reply, I usually only check during the day… it looks like you’re on the right path. You can play around with your LFF to get a consistent flame, at least on low settings.

Eric

Help. I need help.
So currently I just discovered that I had a back burn. I did all the tricks cleaned it out using the leaf blower and such and I am still having problems. Notice there was no flame in the pot set at 2,9 and 3,6,1. I opened the door to find my lower auger not spinning and smoke coming from the auger tube. I immediately set it into shut down mode and removed all the pellets I could. I notice once it went into shut down mode and pellets removed there was a flame inside the lower auger tube. My lower auger was not spinning at all and it keeps pushing out burnt pellets. I believe I caught a hopper fire before it went up. Can anyone give me guidance on this stove before I call it quits thank you.

So here is an update. Finally after a long 30 + minute wait my stove finally got through its shut down process. Recently I have removed both augers. The bottom auger motor and auger itself were still warm to the touch almost 1 hr after the shut down. I did see in the tube some ash that was laying in there. Now I went full dissembly mode on this and pictures will be posted:

Recap: stove type Englander 25-PDV, Pellet type: bear creak, stove has been modified with both large air holes plugged burn plate plugged and additional holes drilled according to the reference yall made on this post.

I notice no fire in the burn pit when I checked the stove. Opened the stove door to a lot of smoke and bottom auger not turning. Turned the stove off removed all pellets from the hopper. During shutdown process notice a very active flame and burnt pellets being pushed from the bottom auger into the burn pot during the shut down process. First thought was hopper fire and such. Kept lid closed during the entire shutdown process. during shutdown I notice my lower auger motor, to which I believe not operating properly, and a video above shows how it was operating.

Labeled pictures will be post after this recap

Once stove was completely off I removed the top auger and it has black charring on the front end away from the gasket. Nothing else don't know if that's normal. It is dirty in which yes I've neglected to clean. The gasket gas light browning and in which I intend to replace.

Removed the bottom auger motor which was warm enough that I had to wear work gloves. It too was dirty and I get it clean it. Now the auger itself does have black soot on it all the way back to the gasket. The gasket is blacked and charred and is in need to be replaced in which I intend to do.

Also I removed my burn pot. And I was under the impression from the previous owner that the felt material or whatever was recently replaced. Upon removing the burn pot it fell apart like it went into a shredder.

As for my last cleaning this past Sunday ( 2 days ago) I cleaned the entire unit removing the plate brushing and sweeping every spect of ash out of it and cleaning my exhaust pipe by removing the trap and sucking the ash/soot out.

I am going to be purchasing new gaskets for the auger motors and the burn box. IF for any reason I need a new auger motor upper or lower or both please let me know. I don't want to have to worry about getting burn back and a possible fire.

Any help will be greatly appreciated with helping me have piece of mind running for the rest of winter.

Thank you all very much