Englander 25-pdvc room blower issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snoturtle

Dec 25, 2013
Western Mass
Hi all

I recently went through and cleaned out my stove and reset the bottom 3 buttons to 4-4-1
Thought I had written down the old settings but I can't find them :(

The issue I am having now is the room blower used to run all of the time now the stove gets really hot before it turns on and than only runs for a short time before turning off again.

How do I get it to run all of the time again?

Thanks

Hi all

I recently went through and cleaned out my stove and reset the bottom 3 buttons to 4-4-1
Thought I had written down the old settings but I can't find them :(

The issue I am having now is the room blower used to run all of the time now the stove gets really hot before it turns on and than only runs for a short time before turning off again.

How do I get it to run all of the time again?

Thanks

Did you, by chance, unplug the stove, when you did this?

If so...it might be in the wrong burn mode - ours defaulted, to "A" , when it was unplugged.
See this thread, to check and change.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...s-wanna-share-good-stuff.104004/#post-1359302

Also, look inside for hoses, wires, loose, or disconnected.

Default settings ....

'd' mode

lower buttons from left to right 6 4 1.

I just checked it and it was set to D mode
Changed it to C mode and now the blower is running all the time like before

Thought it was working like before but the room blower shut off :(

Any ideas?
I have the bottom 3 set to 6-4-1 now also

Last edited:
Just pulled the stove apart again to see if anything was out of place

The only thing I noticed was the white cover on the heat sensor wire had pulled back from the lug that screws in toward the front of the stove

Can't remember if it had been like that or not so I pulled it back up to cover the wire

But it didn't make any difference once I fired it back up :(

Current settings on the bottom 3 are 4-4-1 as 6 was too high

Would the opposite also happen?
The stove gets really hot before it turns on the room blower

Will go run the diagnostics now and see what happens

Would the opposite also happen?

Both blowers and both augers work as they should in diagnostic mode
Yes, that is possible also.
I believe there is a diagnostic for the thermocouple.

Yes, that is possible also.
I believe there is a diagnostic for the thermocouple.

If there is I haven't been able to find it yet

I can check conductivity to check for breaks and resistance but I'm not sure what the numbers should be so doesn't help alot

Does your room air blower run all of the time?
Maybe there was something wrong with mine before and now it is working properly?

Just throwing out ideas

The room air blower runs once the controls have established proof of fire. That is once the temperature is high enough.
The speed is controlled by the setting on the control panel.
Have you read the manual?

top settings on the control panel are set to 3-9 right now
Yes went over the manual and didn't see anything that helped

have been using this stove for about 6 years now with now issues

Room air blower does run after initial start than shuts off until the stove itself gets very hot than it will turn back on and run for a while and the cycle continues like this

If there is I haven't been able to find it yet

ote:
The stove should be completely empty of fuel and cold when using the diagnostic mode for testing the unit.

circdiagstart.jpg

Unplug the stove. Locate the low burn air and air on temp buttons at the bottom of the touch pad. To start diagnostic, plug in the stove and then quickly push these buttons at the same time, then release

cbdiagnostic7.jpg

A number code will appear in the digital readout, this is the reading for the heat sensor. The blower speed number may change some while displayed. This is normal.

That number should change as the sensor temperature changes.

Last edited:
Just checked that and the numbers do change

Do they mean anything?
It wasn't completely cold but cold enough that the blower was off
started around 4-6 and went to 4-7 and 4-5 didn't see it go any higher or lower

Just checked that and the numbers do change

Do they mean anything?
It wasn't completely cold but cold enough that the blower was off
started around 4-6 and went to 4-7 and 4-5 didn't see it go any higher or lower
I think that you should talk to the support Engineers at ESW.

Just pulled the stove apart again to see if anything was out of place

The only thing I noticed was the white cover on the heat sensor wire had pulled back from the lug that screws in toward the front of the stove

Can't remember if it had been like that or not so I pulled it back up to cover the wire

But it didn't make any difference once I fired it back up :(

Current settings on the bottom 3 are 4-4-1 as 6 was too high

The only other thing, I can think of, is the wires on the heat sensor, are shorted together - or the sensor has gone bad,

Once the room air blower comes on - it should stay on..."unless" something is telling the control board, it isn't hot enough to blow warm air.

ok, two things , first , check to make sure the heat sensor isn't loose (I doubt it is after 6 years but check anyway also check the connections.

second, has that blower been pulled and serviced recently? if the cage AND THE MOTOR HOUSING have gotten plugged with dust and debris over the years it could be making the blower motor overheat (thermal impedance protection on a 4C442 blower is 280F if the motor gets that hot it will cut out until it cools sufficiently to disengage the thermal cutout in the motor.

may not be the control board shutting it down, if the thermal kicks it out its cutting its own power regardless of what the CB is trying to send it

ok, two things , first , check to make sure the heat sensor isn't loose (I doubt it is after 6 years but check anyway also check the connections.

second, has that blower been pulled and serviced recently? if the cage AND THE MOTOR HOUSING have gotten plugged with dust and debris over the years it could be making the blower motor overheat (thermal impedance protection on a 4C442 blower is 280F if the motor gets that hot it will cut out until it cools sufficiently to disengage the thermal cutout in the motor.

may not be the control board shutting it down, if the thermal kicks it out its cutting its own power regardless of what the CB is trying to send it

*Good thought Mike !
I didn't realize there was a thermal cutout in the motor.

We cut a hole, in the side of our stove, and put a removable grate on it (long haired cats clog it up fast), so we could clean the impeller, without pulling the blower. The PAH, has access panels for this.

*Good thought Mike !
I didn't realize there was a thermal cutout in the motor.

We cut a hole, in the side of our stove, and put a removable grate on it (long haired cats clog it up fast), so we could clean the impeller, without pulling the blower. The PAH, has access panels for this.

pull the blower, check the motor housing closely , blow it out with HP air see if this solves the issue, gasket does not have to be replaced on the room fan so its easy peasy out and in

I oiled it at the beginning of the season and had it out earlier today
Looked at the impeller but not the motor side
Will pull it again in the morning and check it out

I oiled it at the beginning of the season and had it out earlier today
Looked at the impeller but not the motor side
Will pull it again in the morning and check it out

If you gave it a good cleaning, while it was getting oiled....back to my thoughts, that the heat sensor wires, are shorted together, or the sensor croaked

Just pulled it all apart and cleaned out both blowers
There was some dust on the motor side that I cleaned out

Back up and running now and we shall see what happens with the blower

Hmm, this is what I need to do. Can you / someone point me in the right direction in how to do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.