Englander 25-pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Danny 910

Oct 18, 2022
Nc
Recently replaced the main board, I have the bottom controls set at 6 4 1. When I'm running the heater on setting 1, it runs great, maybe a little too great, but if I change the heat setting to 2 or 3 , it's as if the augur slows down, the fire will almost die out before it gets more pellets and then catch back up.... any ideas of what may be happening 🤔??

If I recall, the only time the bottom settings control the burn is on settings 1 & 2. I can't recall the factory setting for the bottom three (sequence that is) but you seem to have the denominations right, is that the setting in the manual for factory? I used to run mine lower than the factory settings because the factory settings didn't work for me (except for the 1 of course since you cant get lower). If you are not getting the right performance from the upper settings, I would question the thoroughness of the last cleaning (both stove & flue) and the integrity of the draft motor. These stoves have so many places that users forget to clean properly, many problems can be remedied with a thorough cleaning to include the passages behind the vertical plate behind the burn pot as well as the draft motor housing itself.

If I recall, the only time the bottom settings control the burn is on settings 1 & 2. I can't recall the factory setting for the bottom three (sequence that is) but you seem to have the denominations right, is that the setting in the manual for factory? I used to run mine lower than the factory settings because the factory settings didn't work for me (except for the 1 of course since you cant get lower). If you are not getting the right performance from the upper settings, I would question the thoroughness of the last cleaning (both stove & flue) and the integrity of the draft motor. These stoves have so many places that users forget to clean properly, many problems can be remedied with a thorough cleaning to include the passages behind the vertical plate behind the burn pot as well as the draft motor housing itself.
The 6 4 1 setting is the factory setting if I recall correctly, would love to run it lower but when I've tried the heater was really loud, I gave it a good cleaning before I started it this year, used a shop vac and cleaned it up

Shop vac usually isn't enough to get all of the places you need to get, especially if that is the normal cleaning routine after a few years of use. The area behind the vertical plate is like a maze, and even with a paintbrush and vacuum its not good enough. The actual housing itself for the combustion blower will build up too, and you can't get in there with a vacuum, you need to remove the blower itself from the housing to clean in there thoroughly; if you dont have the gasket to replace the blower, you can clean up the area good and use the hi-temp red RTV for a gasket (I actually prefer that). There are also two 1/2" holes in the burn pot under the burn pot plate that will fill up and restrict flow. These are great little stoves, but when it comes to easy cleaning, thats just not the case. You also didn't mention tje flue cleaning or method.

For the flue, and a good general cleaning, a leaf blower that can double as a vacuum on the end of your exhaust pipe does wonders.

Eric

Reactions: Washed-Up