Englander 25-PVDC Auger Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ResQmedic121

Feb 20, 2008
Johnsonville NY
Last night I noticed the lower auger on my stove looked as if it was not feeding the burn pot enough (5/5) was the setting at the time. Looking at the Motor I have some questions:
1. Does the lower motor turn all the time?
2. The motor was Hot to the touch, is this normal?
3. It did turn once and awhile could to motor be bad, or an auger jam?
4. Does anyone know if that is a 12v dc Motor, I would like to test it once I take it out before I spend the money on a new motor.
Thanks.

1. It should. Upper turns intermittently depending on setting.
2. Yes, it runs hot, but not too hot, like burning finger on contact hot.
3. Could be an auger jam, or could be a number of other things. Is this a new stove, and do you have the DVD? The website has lots of info on maintenance, as well as right here.
4. It's a 110V, 'household current', motor. Easily removed, one 5/16" square head set bolt holding it to the auger. Unplug the stove, remove the rear panel, and see if you can spin the motor armature with your finger. Mine was jammed, so I pushed the armature with a screwdriver to free it up, probably due to a piece of dirt or whatever lodged in the armature/field coil gap (or whatever the term is).

Thanks,
I just don't want to by a motor and the one in there just be jammed. I would think if the Motor was bad it would not turn at all. The Motor is HOT to the touch.

yes bottom motor will be hot to the touch as it turns constant ( 1 rpm). as don said, unplug the stove and remove the back... you should be able to grasp the bottom motr( when cooled off) and twist it uup and down a little bit by hand. if it wont twist, you have a jam, could be big, could be small. if it wont move, again as don said use a good size screw driver and pry very slowly up until you move the auger as far as you can. plug the stove back in and try starting again.

if the stove starts and then stops again try this procedure agin...it could take a coule 2-3 tries to get it going. if it wont continue to run, you may have to pull the auger, and clean out the auger tube. usually you wont have to go this far.

mike( not mike holton)

ps i only chimed in here as i had to do some major overhaul on my neighbors stove i.e. replace both motors and auger bearings, and bearing gaskets.

ResQmedic121 said:
Last night I noticed the lower auger on my stove looked as if it was not feeding the burn pot enough (5/5) was the setting at the time. Looking at the Motor I have some questions:
1. Does the lower motor turn all the time?
2. The motor was Hot to the touch, is this normal?
3. It did turn once and awhile could to motor be bad, or an auger jam?
4. Does anyone know if that is a 12v dc Motor, I would like to test it once I take it out before I spend the money on a new motor.
Thanks.

1. Yes
2. I have tested the motor Englander uses on a bench (not under load). It will reach 180 degrees F. It would be theoretically higher in stove because of the load and the higher ambient temp.
3. Verify jam first. If not jammed and running intermittently my theory is fault motor windings.
4. It runs on 110 and you can bench test it. If it is faulty windings its hard to simulate on a bench because it might not get hot enough to stop working.

If you need to buy another read this before you buy:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/34017/

NE Stove owner,
I noticed the RPM is 1.2, does that effect the Feed on your stove. Also is that Motor CCW rotation?

Status
Not open for further replies.