Englander 25-PVDC tuning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walterep

Jan 2, 2014
Vermont
I am new to this forum and have some questions regarding an Englander 25-PVDC pellet stove. We are trying to get as much heat as possible from this stove. We just replaced the two auger motors, as the lower one was bad. The stove now uses far fewer pellets, and therefore produces far less heat, even on the highest setting. We have reprogrammed the control settings to 6-4-1. The motors and augers are turning fine, it is just not feeding as much material as before. The factory auger motors turn at 1 rpm, so even if the new motors were the wrong rpm they would be turning faster, not slower. This is a bit urgent as the temperatures here are dropping below zero. Anyone have any ideas?

Make sure you are running in mode C, there is a thread on this forum telling the procedure . -31 degree wind chill in Maine right now and my little PVDC is running like a champ.

well, this is what I have been doing lately to get more heat. I have my bottom three buttons set at 9-8-1 and my top two are at 2-8. Seems to get more heat that way. Also check the gate in side your hopper to see if you can open it more.

Thanks. No idea what mode "C" is. Can you tell me?

Try this......

Perform a Control Board Reset as follows .....

Do this when the stove is cold.
Unplug the stove from the power outlet.

Plug the power lead back in.

You must press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 3 seconds and then release buttons.

Wait 5 - 10 seconds for the F5 readout display to go blank.

Unplug power lead - wait 5 seconds

Setting the Heat Mode
Heat Mode, the default setting is 'd' for the 25-PDVC, but some control boards default to 'A' when a reset is done. Do not run the stove in 'A' or 'b' mode.
Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6 4 1 from left to right.

Clean out the stove and reload with pellets and fire it up. Set the heat range to 2. Set the blower speed to 3 or 4 and then leave the stove alone for 60 - 90 minutes. After 60 - 90 minutes have passed, set the heat and blower to the numbers that you want.

I have mine on 'c' mode as of now, lower 3 buttons from left to right 5-6-1.

Heat at 6, blower at 6.

Make sure you are running in mode C, there is a thread on this forum telling the procedure . -31 degree wind chill in Maine right now and my little PVDC is running like a champ.
We need some help. It's getting colder here.
I was unware of the different modes on this stove. Two questions;
1) Does changing the mode just mean changing the numbers from 6-4-1?
2) I've seen in a post how to view the current mode (pressing arrows simultaneously), but no mention of how to change from one mode to another. How can I change from D to C? We are using very few pellets and getting not enough heat. So I think we are in the wrong mode.
Try this......

You must press and hold the bottom 3 buttons all at the same time within 4 seconds and wait 3 seconds and then release buttons.

Setting the Heat Mode
Heat Mode, the default setting is 'd' for the 25-PDVC, but some control boards default to 'A' when a reset is done. Do not run the stove in 'A' or 'b' mode.
Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6 4 1 from left to right.

Clean out the stove and reload with pellets and fire it up. Set the heat range to 2. Set the blower speed to 3 or 4 and then leave the stove alone for 60 - 90 minutes. After 60 - 90 minutes have passed, set the heat and blower to the numbers that you want.

Heat at 6, blower at 6.
Try this......

Setting the Heat Mode

Heat at 6, blower at 6.

Thank you so much. We are turning off the stove now and we will follow your instructions. Does it need to be stone cold?

CladMaster got the heat mode reset method posted before I could help you out. Good luck, this worked for me.

My bottom 3 buttons are 5 6 1 and two upper buttons currently at 2 4
Question is were did you purchase the auger motors?

Luke warm is fine, just follow the instructions in my other post above.
CladMaster,
Hope you are still there. We started the procedure, but when we press the up and down buttons for blower speed simultaneously, we don't get a letter in the readout. The number there, 5, remains. Before that step, things went OK. The readout went blank after pressing the bottom three buttons, etc.
Any ideas?

You need to press these two buttons at the same time (then release) within 4 - 5 seconds upon plugging in the power lead, sometimes it's a 2 person job.

Try again.

You need to press these two buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds upon plugging in the power lead, sometimes it's a 2 person job.

Try again.
Thanks. I didn't get that it was critical to press the buttons quickly after plugging the stove in? We'll try it now.

Still no letter code appearing. Here is what we did;
1) turned power off (we have a rocker switch on a surge protector)
2) turned power on and quickly pressed bottom three buttons simultaneously
3) waited for F5 to go blank. It did.
4) turned power off and waited 5 seconds
5) turned power on and quickly pressed the blower speed up and down buttons simultaneously.
6) held buttons down but never got a letter to indicate mode
By the way, where and how did you learn all this? No mention of burn modes in the manual that I can see.

6) held buttons down but never got a letter to indicate mode <<< Release the buttons as soon as you have pressed them.

By the way, where and how did you learn all this?

The info was on Englander's web site at one time, not sure if it's still there.

Still no letter code appearing. Here is what we did;
1) turned power off (we have a rocker switch on a surge protector)
2) turned power on and quickly pressed bottom three buttons simultaneously
3) waited for F5 to go blank. It did.
4) turned power off and waited 5 seconds
5) turned power on and quickly pressed the blower speed up and down buttons simultaneously.
6) held buttons down but never got a letter to indicate mode
By the way, where and how did you learn all this? No mention of burn modes in the manual that I can see.

You just did a "hard reset" of the board.

It's most likely in mode "A"

Unplug, then "Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6 4 1 from left to right."

OK, that worked. We set it to "C" (it was on "A"). But we are unclear about what step to repeat in order to check it. We tried just pressing the up and down again, but the letter didn't come up. So we've fired it up and we'll see. Is there a way to check the mode while the stove is running? If not, we'll shut it down in the morning and do it all again.
Thanks for helping us through this.

You just did a "hard reset" of the board.

It's most likely in mode "A"

Unplug, then "Plug power lead back in and press both the up and down blower speed buttons at the same time within 4 - 5 seconds, you should now see a letter (A, b, c or d) in the left digital display under heat range, you need to change this to 'd' or 'c' using the up / down buttons below that readout, once set to 'd' or 'c' wait 10 - 15 seconds then unplug the power again and wait 5 seconds. (Sometimes the mode that you want does not set and defaults back to the mode that it was in before, repeat this step to make sure the mode that you want is set.)

Plug power back in, then set the lower three (3) buttons to read 6 4 1 from left to right."
Thanks Mary. Please see my post to CladMaster.

OK, that worked. We set it to "C" (it was on "A"). But we are unclear about what step to repeat in order to check it. We tried just pressing the up and down again, but the letter didn't come up. So we've fired it up and we'll see. Is there a way to check the mode while the stove is running? If not, we'll shut it down in the morning and do it all again.
Thanks for helping us through this.

The stove needs to be power cycled to check / change the Heat Mode Setting.

REPEAT THIS STEP TO CHECK THE SETTING

DO NOT RUN THE STOVE IN 'A' or 'b' mode, it will over fire the stove and may cause a house fire. The stove was not designed to run in modes 'A' or 'b'.

The stove needs to be power cycled to check / change the Heat Mode Setting.

REPEAT THIS STEP TO CHECK THE SETTING

Thanks CladMaster. That sounds simple enough. So there's not really a way to check the stove's mode while it is operating...only after it's been shut down? We've got it fired up and we'll see how it goes through the night. Again, I can't thank you enough. I checked, and none of this is on the Englander website.

Thanks CladMaster. That sounds simple enough. So there's not really a way to check the stove's mode while it is operating...only after it's been shut down? We've got it fired up and we'll see how it goes through the night. Again, I can't thank you enough. I checked, and none of this is on the Englander website.

*Because, once it's set -it's not (usually) to be fooled with...

I have searched all over for information on this topic, but yet find anything. The door latch(inside door handle) is almost ready to break off on my year 2000 Englander 25 pvdc. Not sure if this is a replaceable part or I need to replace the whole door. Irritating. any help would be much appreciated. I emailed and called Englander, with no reply...(btw...Englander needs to dump the Indian based support....terrible....)

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 300
The door to the stove lifts off. Find a local metal smith / welder and have it repaired (welded).

Status
Not open for further replies.