Englander 25pdv lack of heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PA Stove 17

Nov 14, 2019
Saylorsburg, PA
Bought a house with a 2009 Englander 25 pdv. Blowing cold- lukewarm air.

Exhaust is hot coming out vent pipe.

Why am I losing heat...this thing should be cooking?

What settings are you running? What are the "bottom 3" buttons set to? When was the last time it was THOROUGHLY cleaned?

Eric

Ericofmaine is correct what are your setting set at. But keep in mind the buttom 3 buttons only affect settings 1+2. Any setting above that is controlled by the circuit board. Make sure you take a shop vac with a small tube and clean the passage behind the impingment plate in the burn box. Also these stove are very fusy with pellet type. If you are running a cheaper hardwood pellet it will affect heat output. Before anyone can help we need details on where you have the settings at.

Cleaned it a couple days ago. Changed to Mode C this morning. 4-6-1. Also replaced the combustion motor as it was rotted out of the housing.

Must of had some bad pellets, as I vacuumed it out and switched to Barefoot hardwood. Fire is now raging. I don't have a temp gauge but it already feel hotter.

sounds like your heat exchanger is dirty. Did you try the leaf blower trick to help suck the ash out? I usally hook up the blower and the take the shop vac with a small tupe on the hose and stick it is the hole behind the impingement plate ans scratch around the lower corners between the fire box and the back wall of the stove. Its a tight space but you can get in there. What part of Pa are you in?

Reactions: PA Stove 17
sounds like your heat exchanger is dirty. Did you try the leaf blower trick to help suck the ash out? I usally hook up the blower and the take the shop vac with a small tupe on the hose and stick it is the hole behind the impingement plate ans scratch around the lower corners between the fire box and the back wall of the stove. Its a tight space but you can get in there. What part of Pa are you in?
Sorry Rick for the newbie questions, but I am assuming the heat exchanger is hole behind the impingement plate? So you hook up a leaf blower to the vent pipe at the back (cumbustion blower) and blow the crap to the front of the heat exchanger while shop vac is sucking up whatever is in there? Doesn't blow soot everywhere?

I am up in the Pocono area, Saylorsburg.

Thanks again for all your help.

Greg

NoNo you hook the leaf-blower to the vent stack OUTSIDE and suck the ash out . Do not blow into the stove. While the leaf blower/vac is running outside I use the shop vac inside to loosen and suck up ash also. With the leaf blower running out side there is always negative pressure in the burn box /chamber to keep dust out of your home. There are many video's on YouTube on the leaf-blower trick. But always disconnect the vacuum tubes on the vacuum switches before you use the leaf-blower or you can possibly hurt the switches. Never thought to ask but how big is your flame running on 9? my stove on 9 is like an inferno in there. Your to far from me I'm Pottstown area

Reactions: PA Stove 17
NoNo you hook the leaf-blower to the vent stack OUTSIDE and suck the ash out . Do not blow into the stove. While the leaf blower/vac is running outside I use the shop vac inside to loosen and suck up ash also. With the leaf blower running out side there is always negative pressure in the burn box /chamber to keep dust out of your home. There are many video's on YouTube on the leaf-blower trick. But always disconnect the vacuum tubes on the vacuum switches before you use the leaf-blower or you can possibly hurt the switches. Never thought to ask but how big is your flame running on 9? my stove on 9 is like an inferno in there. Your to far from me I'm Pottstown area
That's why I asked before I attempted. Just watched the video, I got it. Pretty ingenious.

With the new pellets, on 9 it was blazing. Reduced to 5 and still roaring.

Gonna engineer a few attachments and attempt this more radical clean out once I shut all down and it cools.

Thanks again.
Greg

Reactions: Pellet rick
Englanders love the leaf blower ;)

Lol no problem . I was a bit leary the first time but as Ssko just stated Englander PDV and PDVC love this trick. It still sound like your dirty.

Lol no problem . I was a bit leary the first time but as Ssko just stated Englander PDV and PDVC love this trick. It still sound like your dirty.
Yeah, who know what kind of clean out the previous owners had done, and the more I read and dive into this, the more I learn. If this stove can really heat a 2,200 sqft living space, I want to see it produce.

Oh it will do it, just remeber more heat (btu’s) more pellets.

Reactions: Pellet rick
I use the pdv in a midsize 1/2 double house as my primary heat source. It’s on the main floor in the middle of the house and in the low 30’s running on 5-6 it keeps the whole house around 68-70. Back bedrooms are mid 60s but we like it colder to sleep. I use only easyblaze softwood pellets.

I am up in the Pocono area, Saylorsburg.

Hey neighbor...ok...not that close. I'm just a little south of you in Moore Township.

And just to add what has already been said, the types of pellets you burn make a big difference. My older PDVC seems to love Energex's. I've never, ever ran my stove on 9-9 with them...it would be way too hot.
Just did the leaf blower cleaning yesterday too. Made a big difference. She's all clean now.

Hey neighbor...ok...not that close. I'm just a little south of you in Moore Township.

And just to add what has already been said, the types of pellets you burn make a big difference. My older PDVC seems to love Energex's. I've never, ever ran my stove on 9-9 with them...it would be way too hot.
Just did the leaf blower cleaning yesterday too. Made a big difference. She's all clean now.
Is anyone really close in PA? Pellet Rick about 1.5hrs, JP57, your about 35 mins from me. Big state...lol.

So I did the blower trick yesterday but forgot to unplug the vacuum switch. I also changes my hopper & door gaskets, waiting on the glass and fire box gaskets to arrive. Bought a couple vacuum switches as I figured I probably blew mine by not disconnecting the tube before the blower trick (one extra in case I forget again in the future).

Also got behind the impingement plate with a 3/8" hose duct taped to my Ash vacuum, heard a lot being picked up, so I hope this all does the trick.

Once I get the rest of the parts and fire it up I will let you all know the results.

Feel good about this, learned a lot from all the friendly advice....much appreciated.

On a side note, this thing does suck down electricity, maybe if it supplements my electric heat some I will see a difference. Most days I use the stove my electric usage is through the roof.

Any comments?

Don’t panic with the switches. I usually do not unhook mine either and have not had any issues but I keep the door open.

54 min and 2 hrs...you guys life surprisingly close