Englander 25PDVC issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joe D59

Nov 14, 2019
New Milford, CT
Hi,
I'm new here, and got above stove in February, installed in April. As many others have said, I have E2 issues also. I will get on phone with mfr. soon.
I tried to run a diagnostic on the control panel, according to Englander website. It does not enter the diagnostic mode.
Also is their a spec on how far in/out the igniter should be? My stove was made in Feb. 2019, and sent right to me. Bought at Home Depot.
Don't have a pic to show now, but how would igniter in/out be adjusted?
Thanks for now, I will have questions about vent pipe, but another thread for that.
Joe D59

Why do you think it is out of alignment? With the burn pot assembly removed the end of the igniter should be about an 1/8-3/16 from the opening.

Reactions: MountainDweller
Is this a new issue? Ssyko is correct on how it’s set but make sure the hole is clean and doesn’t have ash build up blocking the element. I’m assuming it’s feeding pellets?

Thanks, I had the burn pot out the other night to clean, and the igniter seemed to be back a bit far. I will measure to see actual distance. And it was not clogged with ash, as I make sure to keep it clean. Yes it does feed pellets.
Thanks

Next question is does the heating element glow? If it does try taking a small handful of pellets and put them in the corner over the igniter hole then turn the stove on. Something else I just remembered is if I try to start mine on setting 5 or higher in will not light and I get E2. I turn it down to 3or 4 till it’s up and running then crank it up.

Hard to see, as pellets keep feeding, burn pot gets full. It did start last night after 1st E2 code. Hit on button, after about 13 minutes(??), it was lighting. The instructions are a bit misleading to me. I was setting blower speed and fuel feed at 1. Then somewhere else in manual, it says to set fuel feed at 5. What about not being able to enter diagnostic mode?
Thanks.

Can’t respond to the diagnostic mode because I never did it. But I think you need to slide the igniter closer to the opening. And try to center it in the hole also. But you really need to see if it’s heating up .

Sorry go in the back of the stove by the lower left auger tube. There is a square set screw that holds it in. Just loosen and slide in and out. There is not much adjustment though because the set screw actually rests on a small collar attached to the igniter. Be sure to unplug the stove first. You will be working around the board in a tight spot and you do not want to short the board out.

Englander recommends the stove be set to heat setting 5 for start up. that i find overloads the pot. I set mine at 3 or 4 Like Rick. from the back of the stove. follow the igniter wires down to the igniter and you will see a set screw just to the left of the housing that holds the igniter stationary. loosen it up and you can move it. be careful you don't break the wires off the igniter or you will be replacing. if the stove is new that igniter should have been set at the factory.

Lol Ssyko you are taking for granted that Englander has done there job correctly. I for one had to adjust mine when new.

The igniter is 5/16" from back wall of "fire box", with burn pot removed! Too deep. Could be why I get lot's of smoke in chamber, before stove gets room blower going? With back cover off, I see igniter, but just a matter of getting my hand/arm in there. Catti-corner install.
Thanks.

Yep way to far back. Mine is a corner install also . I usually end up laying on top of the stove and reaching in. Its a real head rush. lol

Check out the post that was posted today about igniter replacement . It has some good tips in it.

Got igniter out myself. Tested it on bench, it glows( had overhead light out ) after a couple of minutes, but not all the way to stove end of it. Maybe another minute or so. Going to adjust collar back to the ring near wire end of igniter. Icing my knees now!
Thanks

Re-installed igniter tonight, after moving collar back to nearly flush with crimp ring. It does glow after about 2 mins. or so. (Resistance is good at 49 Ohms). But after 20 mins. stove shuts off, with E2 still displayed. This time it went to E2 twice before I manually lit pellets. After burning for a while, it looks like pellets do ignite at igniter hole. Still seem to get a large fire, even with pellet feed at 1. I'll check again to see if I can get control board into diagnostic mode. Has anyone ever gotten Englander to send a tech??? LOL. I'm still under warranty.
Thank you.

See my last post on igniter replacement thread;
Thanks

Another issue with this stove is hopper not nearly emptying all pellets to auger.
I think others have had this issue. Any come up with a solution?
Thanks

Yep very common issue. Many ways to deal with it. I have HVAC foil tape on all of the welded corners running from the hopper top length ways to the hopper gate sliding door. And I also spray Graphite on the entire hopper surface. But sand the hopper surface with very fine sandpaper or steel wool to make it as smooth as possible . It seems to work for me and I only need to do it ounce or twice a season. Also make sure the stove is shut down before you spray anything in there.

Reactions: Ssyko