Englander 25PDVC leaving hopper open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

nateweaver77

Dec 8, 2022
PA
New to this for him and have a question. I hooked up a used but in very good shape Englander to five PDVC this winter for the first time. Originally it ran as normal but started having issues only a few weeks in.
We inadvertently noticed that when we leave the hopper open everything works great! Burns normal light quickly and all. However, when we close the hopper lid, the top auger usually stops after a while and the fire goes out. I’ve read posts where people say you’re not supposed to leave the hopper open but in our case that’s good keep the stove running great. Any issues with just pretending that it’s an older model without a hopper switch or seal?

New to this for him and have a question. I hooked up a used but in very good shape Englander to five PDVC this winter for the first time. Originally it ran as normal but started having issues only a few weeks in.
We inadvertently noticed that when we leave the hopper open everything works great! Burns normal light quickly and all. However, when we close the hopper lid, the top auger usually stops after a while and the fire goes out. I’ve read posts where people say you’re not supposed to leave the hopper open but in our case that’s good keep the stove running great. Any issues with just pretending that it’s an older model without a hopper switch or seal?
Sorry spell check typo there should read “new to this forum”