Englander 25PDVC not putting out as expected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
stove is started up and burning off the paint smell.....only question i have on this thing so far is, there i an imingement plate that sits between the burn pot and the door. the way it came it was visually blocking the burn pot...does anyone who owns one of these know the correct position for that plate? i flipped it around so that it rests towards the door and opens up the visual to the burn pot.

It should be mounted to the back wall behind the burn pot

So, you went bigger. I didn't see in your comments where you stated how many bags you were actually burning a day. I mean, did you ever figure out if you were actually running it at its full rating?

With the bigger stove you should be able to burn more pellets, thus putting more heat into the space.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The way you have the plate facing the door is correct

I figured, thanks! So far its burning well I have had it set to 5 on manual mode while it seasons the stove. One thing ive noticed which has slighlty concerned me is discoloration on the exterior of the stove where the burn chamber. I wish i had noticed whether the stove had the appearance prior to starting it but I didnt. Right now my rutland thermo is showing 600 on the side. Defintely produces more heat than the 25PDVC. Im thinking a lot of it is a function of a much better design on the burn pot. The flame is much more normal in length and active.

The paint on the engladers is pretty thin so I wouldn't be concerned with the discoloration.

hard to tell the pellet feed level right now on the auto temp setting but at 8 degrees outside here its maintaining the first floor at 70 so far. i was running the huntsman in the basement and the PDVC to get less yesterday. the side of the stove is reading 700 degrees. this thing definitely produces heat well beyond the PDVC. you can tell the air gets to the fire pot simply by watching the ash fly in comparison to the PDVC.....only question will be at what cost that comes in pellet use but at 8 degrees outside i really don't care.

Reactions: Hot Foot
Sounds like your much happier with the new stove, congrats

Glad the bigger stove is working better, but if you were only burning a bag and a half a day, you were only running at about half the potential of your PVDC. That stove maxed out should be able to burn 3+ bags running full steam. It doesn't matter what stove you use, as long as your stove is running properly, if you want the BTUs, you need to burn the pellets.

For me, I burn ½ a bag for every 10 degree drop in avg temp, below 65. So, if you were having a 16degree day, then that would be a 2.5 bag day for me, also equal to about 6gals of heating oil. I'm not sure how it relates to your electric heat usage, but you should try to ballpark what you used to use for electric heat, then try a heat calculator to get an estimate of what you should expect for pellets. That's what I did when I got a pellet stove to replace my oil burner. If your calculations comes out to 1.5 bags for a 16 degree day, fine, but it sounds like you needed to burn more pellets, and your stove should have been able to do it.

lowes just took the 25pdv and dropped a smart stove. gonna get it tapped in here in a few and fire it up. house is gonna stink again for a day but thats ok. ill report back on the results
stove is started up and burning off the paint smell.....only question i have on this thing so far is, there i an imingement plate that sits between the burn pot and the door. the way it came it was visually blocking the burn pot...does anyone who owns one of these know the correct position for that plate? i flipped it around so that it rests towards the door and opens up the visual to the burn pot.
Check your manual ,that might have gotten loose in shipping, there are three plates in my smart stove they all mount on the back wall of the fire box ,the one with the large hole goes in the center ,the one with the small hole fits over the small tube on the right side facing the stove .the other on the left .Could be why you are getting discoloration on stove . My advice is read the manual ,and if the persons giving you answers doesn't have this stoves take what he tell you with a grain of salt .Lots of knowit all on this site .Overnight pellet gurus .

I know 2 people who recently bought smart stoves and both have a deflector that sits at the burn pot and leans out towards the door , so may be you should be the one knowing what your posting about.

Ya I think the disconnect here is his smart stove is the SP01 model and mine is the CB210. The firebox design is different, mine coming with the deflector.

Chken.....thanks for the info I see what you’re saying but to me I thought it best to have the ability to have more output potential than to hope the pdvc at its max capacity would do the work. Luckily I got the pdvc during this brutal cold snap and I spent damn near everyday trying all configurations, tracking temps on the stove, output air, and temps in each room of my main floor. After all that it was obvious the stove wasn’t going to be able to give me the output that I needed for the space and home I have.

I went with the CB210 over the PDV because of the efficiency and what is clearly a better designed burn pot and top down feed system. In my mind one less auger is one less than to break down over time and after tinkering with the pdvc burn pot there’s obvious limitations to that design. After 24 hours of the smart stove with a very limited sample size (especially on burned pellet numbers) the most obvious advantage is the heat produced inside of the firebox. The increased blower size also moves air into a room the pdvc simply couldn’t reach. We’ll see how she does after more days of keeping track of the burn output and I’ll let you know what I’m doing on average but so far I’m very glad I swapped out before the return window closed (by a few days).

definately keep us up to date how it's working for you.One of the people I know that recently bought one is my boss, he installed it in his basement about a month and half ago and already put 2 ton through it, he has been running it full bore since he has had it. Just last wed. he came to me at work saying he had a problem that it over fed pellets and smoked up his basement and co2 alarm going off. I knew right away the cause was a dirty stove and vent so I loaned him my leaf blower setup and he was back in business.thanks for the clarification for Bubibear

definately keep us up to date how it's working for you.One of the people I know that recently bought one is my boss, he installed it in his basement about a month and half ago and already put 2 ton through it, he has been running it full bore since he has had it. Just last wed. he came to me at work saying he had a problem that it over fed pellets and smoked up his basement and co2 alarm going off. I knew right away the cause was a dirty stove and vent so I loaned him my leaf blower setup and he was back in business.thanks for the clarification for Bubibear
My bad thanks for the info .