Englander 28-4000 low flue temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
After all of this experimenting - I'll be cleaning the chimney this week (After all of the odd burning I was getting before) and then seeing how long I'm able to burn without build up (this could be the negative of the damper?)

what did you find when you cleaned the chimney?? more/less/same buildup than before the damper?

what did you find when you cleaned the chimney?? more/less/same buildup than before the damper?
Well, its been over a year since ive posted here; and I am getting a good handle on my setup.

I needed to trust my manometer, i really do pull -.10 to -.12 without the manual pipe damper engaged, which makes it very challenging to run the stove. (Low stove temps, low pipe temps) With the pipe damper set so that the draft is at -.06 then the stove runs much better... And the air control works as expected.

My only complaint is if I set the air control too low then the fire gets very smokey towards the end of the burn... So I set the air control to run at about 600* flue temp cruising and it seems to burn all the way down.

And, I do need to clean the chimney pretty often - I cleaned it today and there was a lot of black crystals sitting in the bottom T of the chimney liner... Enough to block about 1/2 the pipe. I plan to clean it every 2 months at this point, if not more.