Englander 30 for 550, should I go for it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pen

There are some who call me...mod.
Staff member
Aug 2, 2007
N.E. Penna
Morning everyone,

I've got a Grandma Bear Fisher woodstove that I've added a baffle to and have been burning for years. But, I recently found a 1 year old Englander 30 that is supposedly in perfect shape for sale for 550. (no blower) I guess the guy had it installed in a trailer and it roasted him out and he's going for something smaller.

I have no problems with my Fisher Stove but I'm thinking if this is as perfect as the owner claims it's a pretty good upgrade. At very least, if I try it and don't like it I think I should be able to sell it at that price again come January.

I hope this can provide the heat that that old Fisher can but also save a little on wood and perhaps keep the enviro and my chimney a little cleaner.

What are your thoughts?

I'm heading out about 12:30pm eastern to look at it.

pen

Go for it, sounds like a good deal and you will save some wood while getting more heat along with a great view of the fire.

Hmmm... Probably cut a minimum of a cord a year off of consumption. Nice big glass for enjoying and monitoring the fire. Cleaner chimney. Less smoke in the neighbor's faces. For $550. Eligble for a 30% tax credit.

I don't know. Let me think about this a little bit...

BrotherBart said:
I don't know. Let me think about this a little bit...

So...What you come up with?? %-P

Go for it. Its a heck of a bang for your buck upgrade.

I'm with you guys with the plus's. I just hope that it heats like that old fisher. On days where I only get into the single digits the coldest parts of my house are in the 70's! If this can keep it within 5 degrees of the old stove and also have the added safety and viewing features, I'll be tickled to death.

How's that 30% tax credit work for a used stove? Do I need to have the seller draw up a sales receipt with me? I didn't even think about that being eligible being used.

Thanks for the extra nudge in the right direction

pen

Yep. Get a receipt and it wouldn't hurt to pay with a check.

And keeping up with a Grandma Bear in the heating department is not a problem with the 30.

Wet1 said:
BrotherBart said:
For $550. Eligble for a 30% tax credit.

Used stoves are eligble??? :confused:

There is not one word in the legislation authorizing the tax credit for stoves that requires the stove to be "new". What happens is that most older stoves don't have the required efficiency certificate available from the manufacturer. The 30 does.

pen said:
I just hope that it heats like that old fisher. ....... I'll be tickled to death.

Prepare yourself for the laughing and giggling.

BrotherBart said:
Wet1 said:
BrotherBart said:
For $550. Eligble for a 30% tax credit.

Used stoves are eligble??? :confused:

There is not one word in the legislation authorizing the tax credit for stoves that requires the stove to be "new". What happens is that most older stoves don't have the required efficiency certificate available from the manufacturer. The 30 does.

BB, are you saying you could actually get a cert for a used/older stove, or just point to the fact that it would be certified if it was new? My only concern here would be that a used stove may not technically have the same proven efficiency as a newly rated one, and so be exempt from certification. For example, if someone didn't do a break-in burn, toasted the seals and then overfired the sucker for a few years. I know (now, not when I bought it at one-year old) that my Oakwood was overfired and/or damaged, and would not have been very efficient without a new afterburner.

Just like a used car, the way it's maintained will effect how its gas mileage changes with time. That said, I don't think Uncle will ask, and I'm not gonna tell. So maybe you just put me in the market for a new used stove, but it's nice to have your i's and t's dotted and crossed for the IRS.

Basically if the stove is on the "approved" list, and bought in the proper time frame, it works. Doesn't matter if new or used. At least thats the way I get it.

500 bux, a homemade ramp, and a little grunting, and the old girl is in the basement. Time to figure out what I am going to do with the flue piping as this is 6in and the thimble is 8in. Not sure if I want to put the adapter near the stove (short sect of 6in to adapter and 8 in the rest of the way to the chimney) or run 6 in to the thimble and then change to 8 there.

Here's the thread https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/40411/

pen

pen said:
I just hope that it heats like that old fisher. On days where I only get into the single digits the coldest parts of my house are in the 70's! If this can keep it within 5 degrees of the old stove and also have the added safety and viewing features, I'll be tickled to death.

pen

dude!!! trust me , it'll heat with your fisher. oh and BTW run the 6 to the thimble then change over, if for no other reason than it will look better. while you are at it , check the chimney's clean out door and ensure it seals up airtight or reasonably so , this stove needs a solid draft and its efficiency comes from proper airflow and resistance , if you have leaks into the flue that air the stove doesnt get , not as important with a smoke dragon , but a big key with a modern unit like my 30.

stoveguy2esw said:
pen said:
I just hope that it heats like that old fisher. On days where I only get into the single digits the coldest parts of my house are in the 70's! If this can keep it within 5 degrees of the old stove and also have the added safety and viewing features, I'll be tickled to death.

pen

dude!!! trust me , it'll heat with your fisher. oh and BTW run the 6 to the thimble then change over, if for no other reason than it will look better. while you are at it , check the chimney's clean out door and ensure it seals up airtight or reasonably so , this stove needs a solid draft and its efficiency comes from proper airflow and resistance , if you have leaks into the flue that air the stove doesnt get , not as important with a smoke dragon , but a big key with a modern unit like my 30.

Thank you for the advice. I will do that. I know the door seal on the cleanout is "good" but perhaps would benefit from a thin strip of "something" to make it even more air tight.

pen

I paid $550 for my 30. Found it on Craigslist. Best $550 i've ever spent. The stove has paid for itself already in propane saved.

It's one helluva heater. If I'm not careful, it'll run us out of the house (1600 sqft). You can learn to control it, but if you need heat, the 30 will give you lots of it.

I don't have a blower on mine. I can't imagine getting MORE heat out of this thing. It heats great without it.

-SF

throw some dry seasoned oak in that 30 and once those secondarys take off ,you will be pleasantly surprised of the immense heat output
and the extra long burn times over that old fisher

Status
Not open for further replies.