Englander 30-NC vs more expensive stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the picture you will have a fair amount of costs associated either way - Stove or insert. First of all your options will depend on your budget. Since you are looking at budget stoves, I will assume you are trying to keep this under control. However, if you keep the big picture in mind think in terms of Return on Investment (ROI) and your heating goals. If you are trying to reduce your propane bill by 50% or more per year then you have a good case to spend a bit more money on the overall project.

Options 1) Insert: By far your least expensive option. Just drop a liner, find the biggest insert that will fit in there and it will provide a fair amount of heat.

Option 2) Stove: Never mind the stove... this will require a fair amount of rip & tear, lumber, masonry, sweat, blood and tears. But it will provide more heat that an insert and if the power goes out the stove will radiate more heat than an insert.

Option 3) High efficiency ZC fireplace. Some are 75% plus efficient and you can add gravity kit to bring warm air upstairs or to other rooms. Some will also allow forced air kits that you put on a thermostat to heat other areas of the house, turning your fireplace into a small furnace. This is the most expensive and also the most efficient use of your dollar (ROI). It also looks much nicer that an alcove stove IMHO. If you were thinking about tearing the whole works anyway this is something to think about. You can get a 2.5 cu. ft EPA ZC for about $3,000.

Hope this helps.

I went from a series of FP/Insert set-ups to a stove. I'm lovin' it ; ).

I have to be honest I hadn't considered an insert, I assumed that I wouldn't be able to meet clearances since my chase is wood. I have a Lennox Ladera ZC fireplace in a cabin, and while it does pump out nice heat, it doesn't seem heavy duty enough for 24/7 burning during the heating season. I would want to raise the heart, but it would be a lot less work than an alcove. What are some inserts that popular with folks on forums? Thanks

What is the make & model of your current fireplace and what are the inside dimensions.

It's a Superior KR-43, its 26-1/2" in the back, 33" in the front, and 16" deep. Height is 18" from the firebrick in the bottom to the metal on top

What about a rear venting stove placed in front of the current fireplace and vented through the existing chimney. I could go with class A pipe into the firebox, then run a flex liner to the top. Any thoughts? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.