Englander 30 nch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger180

Nov 15, 2016
Rosman, North Carolina
I first want to say thanks for such an informative site!!! You guys are awesome. I found this site when I was looking for a wood stove. I have not had a wood stove in over 10 years. We got a new home and opted to put in gas logs, 2 sets of them. They were nice and they did heat well, but we went through quite a few of those 100lb bottles per year.

So we got to doing some research because the last wood stove I had was a HUGE Ashley coal burning stove that we burned wood in. The stove was not efficient at all but had a large firebox that would hold like a wheelbarrow full of wood at a time!! Because of this site I got to looking at the Englander 30 nch wood stove. It was quite a bit more than what I had planned on spending. I was actually looking for a used Fisher mama bear but could not find none in my area. Well it has been 5 days since the install and all I can say is WOW!! BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT!! I WOULD BUY ONE AGAIN AND NOT THINK TWICE ABOUT IT!! This thing is awesome.

I have very good seasoned red and white oak that has been stacked up for over a year, and the burn times on this thing are incredible. I know some people may not believe me, but I was not expecting what I have gotten. The first night before I went to bed I stirred up the bed of coals good and put in 2 sticks of oak and closed the damper about 3/4 of the way and went to bed planning on it going out overnight due to me not being confident to let it go all night while we were asleep. That was 10:30pm, I woke up at 6:15am and went to check on the stove not expecting anything. BUT there was still a VERY thick bed of coals left, house was 78 degrees and the stove was HOT to the touch, I let it go until 8:30am just to show my wife, I then put in 2 small sticks and closed it and it was still going at 4:30pm. Last night before bed I did the same thing except this time I put in a large oak stick that had a big knot in it, only 1 stick and this morning, THE SAME THING!!

I know that I will have to keep good check on the flu due to creosote, but besides that this thing is AWESOME. Anyone looking at one of these, go ahead and buy it you cant go wrong!!! I am loving being back to burning wood, the way life is supposed to be!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome, ranger180, glad you are enjoying your new stove! :) I haven't heard of too many folks wanting to go back to an old stove, once they see how long the new ones burn on a load. >> By all means, keep an eye on the flue until you get an idea of how clean you are burning. If your wood is dry and you are getting good secondary flame coming off the tubes, chimney deposits should be minimal. Only a year drying on Oak can be a crapshoot as to weather the wood is optimally dry, especially if it's from a live tree, like a blow-down. It seems to be one of the slowest-drying species. Split and stacked two years seems to be good here on the dead Red Oaks I harvest, if I don't split too big. You may want some bigger splits with that stove, to control the burn rate, so those will take longer to dry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.