englander 30 placement ok next to concrete wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alfrehner

Dec 13, 2008
Northern Missouri
I just bought the Englander 30 and I was planning on installing in the basement which has concrete walls. I took off all finished materials so all there is is the bare concrete wall where the stove is going. I was planning on putting the stove right up next to the concrete wall to help with the need of double wall pipe that will be run horizontally to meet my clearances on the ceiling. Anyways, I was reading through the manual and saw that it says a minimun of 8 inches to protected surfaces with single wall pipe install. I am confused. Would it be OK for me to put this stove right next to the conrete wall?

Keep in mind that the concrete walls in your basement are going to suck up a LOT of heat.

Installing the stove in the basement with uninsulated walls is going to waste an awful lot of energy.

The concrete itself is not combustible, to answer your question.

-SF

The manual gives clearance figures for "protected" and "unprotected" surfaces. An "unprotected" surface is a combustible wall. A "protected surface" is one which contains combustible materials, but has been protected by installation of an approved heat shield between it and the appliance. If your rear wall is just concrete block with nothing combustible in it or behind it, then there is no minimum clearance requirement between the back of your stove and that wall. You always have to observe clearances from whatever stovepipe you install to the walls and the ceiling, of course. Rick

Thanks Rick, thats what I thought, but I was unsure of the protected surfaces definition. Thanks for defining it and I will continue my original plans on my install.

Status
Not open for further replies.