Englander 55 SH/TR PAH Door Latch adjustment with pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JamesB1

Nov 19, 2022
Maine
Hello,
My first post on the forum but I have been a long time reader of the advice given here.

I am currently using a 2009 Englander 55 PAH and newer Quadrafire Cab 50 in my home.

I recently noticed a small gap at the top edge of the door on the Englander and today replaced the door seal which I have done in the past. I still have the same gap and can see light through it when the stove is burning or I put a flashlight inside the stove. The handle on the stove sits at the 4/5 o'clock position when latched but feels very loose, is easy to disengage when latched and I can easily spin the handle 360 degrees.

In searching I read a post from 2012 where a member used a length of pipe to bend a portion of the handle to better secure it when latched. Does anyone know the exact procedure required and what exactly the trick is? I assume I would be tweaking it when the stove is up to temperature?

Thank you for any assistance.
Jim

You say you can spin it. My old VC reliance ... thats how the latch is adjusted. It's threaded and the hole it spins in is threaded, so a full 360 degrees l-r turns it in 1 turn to loosen the fit of the door gap, but r-l brings the latch out and tightens the fit of the door.

Hello,

It is not threaded. Here is a link to the post concerning the adjustment from a decade ago.

Thank you,
Jim

Reactions: tbear853
In the previous post you linked, Mike from Englander noted its cold rolled steel so it doesn't need to be hot. That said, he also mentioned that they "do it all the time." Therefore, I'd reach out to them?

Eric

Thank you for the replies, I ended up cutting a small length of pipe to insert onto the handle when the stove door was latched shut and tweaked the handle outwards. No more issue.

Reactions: ericofmaine