Englander door misalignment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

IdahoMtnPellet

Dec 30, 2022
Idaho
New poster here after reading post after post for several days.

After several weeks of dealing with E-2 errors on my 25PDVC stove, and dozens of comments here, I finally got it working right, I think! I replaced the window gasket (twice), the door gasket, and the combustion blower. I also cleaned the stove and flue. It has started twice now just fine.

Today I noticed something that looks awfully strange. The door appears to be almost 1/2 inch higher than it should be, I believe. You can see it in the pic. I added a dash line to make the misalignment more apparent. What this means is the lip on the door opening is nowhere near the middle of the door gasket at the top and bottom of the door. It is on the sides. I'm thinking the misalignment may be allowing leakage even though the fire appears to be healthy.

I'm considering cutting the stove side of the hinges down about 1/4" to lower the door so that the lip of the stove door opening will set closer to the middle of the gasket rather than near the edge. What do you guys think of this idea?

Stove door.jpg

Reactions: Mt Bob
If it ain't broke don't fix it? It may appear misaligned to you, but unless you know the actual specifications for this model, I wouldn't change it if it's working fine.

Yes,but, don't assume the door sits in that position when closed, things may not be welded square, or perpendicular. To double check, see how the door closes on some white paper, taped to the door edges. Sides look good, but check top and bottom. Almost looks like door is too large. If stove is new, you might want to call England's. If not, ya, cut or grind off a little bit. If you go too far, door can be shimmed with washers.