Englander pdvc-25

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

PFRAIN

Feb 1, 2021
new hampshire
Hi all..i have the Englander pellet stove pdvc 25--have had issues with the motors and auger and have replaced numerous times. so like usual I had replaced the auger motor (top) in October and it has stopped turning again. have adjusted the screw that attaches motor to auger and when I took it out the gear is all grinded down so the screw will not turn (motor still running) and clearly the gear is grinded down and metal filings are present. why does it keep doing this? I have replaced the screw and the entire top auger in October also ..

Image result for engladerpdvc 25 augermotor
this is the type of motor ...the metal piece that sticks out (the gear?) continually seems to grind down and eventually screw will not "catch" and the motor will continue working but will not turn auger..

the set screw should be tight against the flat side of the auger motor shaft(that is what sticks out of the gear box)If it is tight on the flat side it cannot tear the shaft up. it would take the teeth of the plastic input gear.

Reactions: Rascal08
the set screw should be tight against the flat side of the auger motor shaft(that is what sticks out of the gear box)If it is tight on the flat side it cannot tear the shaft up. it would take the teeth of the plastic input gear.
that's what I thought --so if I did not tighten is correctly on that flat side it would grind the metal..thanks..i feel like I was aware of that the last time I replaced and was careful to attach screw on flat side but perhaps it slipped off...ty..i figured this was what occurred again

So tried to replace with new motor. Set it for the flat end against the screw and it immediately would not catch and ripped up the motor shaft. So clearly not the motor. Could there be something wrong with the screw? It looks intact to me no idea why it is ruining every motor I get (this eventually always happens with top motor despite replacing entire auger and collar...

See my response below! Still need opinion on why this did it again on a new motor.

How long is the screw? Is it a square head?

How long is the screw? Is it a square head?
Ugh think I found an obstruction I should have known to check that first. Thank you I’m sure I will need help again lol these Englanders are pretty easy to trouble shoot but seems to have an issue or two every year. Probably just age... it looks like the metal piece that closes and locks hopper came lose and jammed into to auger. Hoping I did not screw up my new motor by trying it yesterday.

Reactions: Washed-Up
Ugh think I found an obstruction I should have known to check that first. Thank you I’m sure I will need help again lol these Englanders are pretty easy to trouble shoot but seems to have an issue or two every year. Probably just age... it looks like the metal piece that closes and locks hopper came lose and jammed into to auger. Hoping I did not screw up my new motor by trying it yesterday
Oh My !! Glad you found the problem..