Englander PDVC/55-SHP10 upper feed auger locks up tight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ed Churilla

May 14, 2013
pittsburgh PA
mfg date of 08/03 the upper feed auger is locking up and won't turn. if you take the motor and move it up and down and loosen it, it works for a few minutes and locks up again. I removed the upper auger and gave it a good cleaning but it didn't help. I did a reset on the board just last week. mode D 5-4-1. the auger motors I have never changed I've owned this since 2013. any suggestions what to try next?

I tried to do a control board reset again. couldn't get it to show f5 was able to get it into mode "d" when I went to change the 3 bottom buttons the 6 & 4 went in ok, but the 3rd button "air on temp" did nothing. When you push it it doesn't respond. I replaced the control board on this stove shortly after buying it in 2013--maybe it's time for a new one?

I don't know what you mean by 'locked' or 'locking up' but you can make an auger tester if you're curious to rule out if it's the auger or an obstruction inside the auger feeding tube. You just need a spare electrical cord, splice off the ends and put on a couple of female spade terminal connectors. Pull the auger out and hook up the connectors and plug it in to see how it runs. I've made one myself.

Good luck with your issue.

I don't know what you mean by 'locked' or 'locking up' but you can make an auger tester if you're curious to rule out if it's the auger or an obstruction inside the auger feeding tube. You just need a spare electrical cord, splice off the ends and put on a couple of female spade terminal connectors. Pull the auger out and hook up the connectors and plug it in to see how it runs. I've made one myself.

Good luck with your issue.
thx for the reply. too both augers out and tested the motors--I did have a cable as described--the bottom auger motor was bad. looks like the top feed auger was feeding on demand until the auger channel was full, then the upper wouldn't spin. 2 motors on the way should be running in a day or 2